*State law mandates that only specific people are allowed to witness an execution.
- Immediate family members of the victim. They must be at least 18 years old.
- The warden of the prison or the deputy warden.
- The sheriff of the county where the crime was committed.
- The inmate's spiritual advisor or the prison chaplain.
- The prison physician.
- Attendants deemed necessary by the warden to carry out an execution.
- Up to 7 members of the media selected in accordance with the guidelines promulgated by the Department of Correction.
- The condemned inmate's immediate family.
- One defense counsel chosen by the inmate.
- The State Attorney General or designee.
Media Witness Policy 0420-3-4 (in pdf format)
Important: Before being able to view a pdf file, you must download the Adobe Reader, version 4.0 or greater, by Adobe Acrobat. Simply click pdf reader and follow instructions from the Adobe site.