This page contains research briefs conducted by the Tennessee Department of Correction Planning and Research staff.
Drug Research Brief (pdf)(413 kb) - This research brief is a more exhaustive look at Tennessee's incarcerated felon population. Felony drug and alcohol violations are given for admissions, releases, and the stock population for fiscal year 2002/2003.
TIBRS (Tennessee Incident Based Reporting System) Research Brief (pdf)(138 kb) - This research brief provides a logical approach towards categorizing offense codes for inmates incarcerated in the Tennessee Department of Correction.
TDOC Release Trends and Failure Rates - Recidivism (1999-2003) (pdf)(277 kb) - This research brief examines the release trends and failure rates of all incarcerated felons released from TDOC and privately managed facilities. The report details the relationships between different release types (i.e., probation, expiration and parole) and releasing institutions (i.e., prison versus jail).
Drug Research Brief - New Commitments - This research brief examines the new drug commitments to TDOC from 1997 to 2001.
Overview of Juvenile Offenders (pdf)(120 kb) - This fact sheet presents a brief overview of the characteristics of juvenile felony offenders in the TDOC system.
Aging Prison Population in Tennessee (pdf)(41 kb) - This fact sheet summarizes the findings of a demographic examination of the population of older inmates in Tennessee. Older inmates are defined as those who are age 50 and over.
Important: Before being able to view a pdf file, you must download the Adobe Reader, version 4.0 or greater, by Adobe Acrobat. Simply click pdf reader and follow instructions from the Adobe site.
- Annual Reports
- Statistical Abstract - this report provides detailed statistical information which has previously been contained in other types of reports.
- Annual Felon Population Projections Reports and Mid-Year Assessment
- Monthly Felon Population Update - this report provides statistics on felons in Tennessee who are incarcerated, on probation or on parole.
- Monthly Female Population Update - this report provides statistics specifically on incarcerated female felons in Tennessee. Probation and parole numbers are not included.
- Monthly Bed Space and Operating Capacities Reports - this report shows the assigned count, total beds available and operating capacity of each Tennessee Department of Correction facility on the last day of the month.
- Monthly Jail Summary Reports - this monthly report provides a point-in-time perspective of the jail population in Tennessee.
- Monthly Female Jail Summary Reports - this monthly report provides a one-day snapshot of the female jail population in Tennessee.
- Statistical Abstract: TDOC Recidivism Study - FY 2001-2007 (pdf format)(318 kb) - This report provides an analysis of felon return rates.
- Research Briefs - research conducted by the Planning and Research section which provides statistical information and narrative synopses of various topics of interest.
- Children and Families - reports and demographic inquiries into the issues surrounding incarcerated families.
- Research Proposal - suspended, effective January 1, 2012.
- Charges of Computer Generated Requests (pdf format)(27 kb) - policy is attached addressing these charges.