School Safety Specialist Program
The purpose of the Tennessee School Safety Specialist Program is to provide ongoing training and information on national and state best practices, as well as exemplary resources for school safety, security, intervention and prevention, and emergency preparedness planning. Anticipated outcomes will be the implementation of school safety practices that promote the development of safe and supportive learning environments for all students.
Basic Training Requirements
The following requirements must be met to fulfill Basic Training and be recognized as a School Safety Specialist:
- Complete six hours of online training prior to on-site training
- Complete three days of on-site training
- Complete one day of advanced training
Role of a School Safety Specialist
After completing Basic Training, School Safety Specialists are expected to take the lead or participate in the following responsibilities and activities on an ongoing basis.
- Coordinate the review, editing, and updating of Emergency Operations Plans for their district and/ or school building each year as established under TCA §49-6-(801-814).
- Involve appropriate stakeholders in the development of district/school level Emergency Operations Plans through the formation of a safety team to include the following: police and fire departments, emergency management agency, EMS, local medical facilities, community members, administrators, parents, and students.
- Network with appropriate stakeholders to enhance school safety at the district and/or school level.
- Act as a resource for other individuals in the district on issues related to school discipline, safety, security, and bullying prevention.
- Provide professional development for district faculty and staff on school violence, crime prevention, bullying, and other issues that prevent the maintenance of a safe school environment.
- Participate in six hours of advanced level training each year.
The inaugural School Safety Specilist class was held June 9-11 in Franklin.
Registration is closed for the September training.