Get a School Personnel License
Certain endorsement areas for Tennessee educators (grades pre-K to 12) in personnel positions are initially issued on the Apprentice Special Group license. These areas are:
- School Guidance Counselor
- School Psychologist
- Speech Language Pathologist
- School Social Worker
The requirements for the Apprentice Special Group license are the same as for an Apprentice Teacher license:
- Applicant must be at least 18 years of age
- Applicant must hold at least a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college/university
- Applicant must have successfully completed a state-approved educator preparation program and be recommended by that program for licensing
- Applicant must pass required Praxis II exams
- Application must be made by an education preparation institution on behalf of the candidate (i.e. individuals may not apply for licensure directly).
Additionally, applicants must hold a Master’s degree in the specialty area for which they are applying.
This license is valid for five years and is renewable. Educators can also advance from the Apprentice Special Group license to the Professional School Service Personnel license.