Skip to Content

Underground Injection Control Permit

Who Needs One?

Anyone who discharges industrial/commercial wastes into a subsurface system other than city sewers or who modifies Karst features is required to submit an underground injection control (UIC) application to the Tennessee Division of Water Resources, Ground Water Management Section.

The operation of a single family domestic waste disposal system requires a construction permit from the Division of Water Resources and does not require a UIC permit. The operation of facilities injecting natural gas for the purpose of storage requires an EPA Class II injection well permit. EPA and the State classify well injections as I (deep well industrial), II (oilfield brine), III (mineral extraction), IV (hazardous waste) and V (shallow, non-hazardous). Tennesee permits Class I and V wells. Class IV wells are

What Information Must I Provide?

Anyone interested in a Class I well should contact the Division of Water Resources for application information.  Class V applicants must submit the following items before

» Authorization Application For Class V Underground Injection Well. This form has three parts. Part A requires general information concerning the name and location of the facility, the activities conducted that require a permit, the nature of the business, the contact person and other required environmental permits. Part B requires information regarding the injection well, injection zone, the injected fluid, operation status and parameters. Part C requires information concerning the area lying within and below a one-mile radius of the injection well pump site or facility; this includes surface geographic features, subsurface geology and demographic and cultural features.

» Attachments such as topographic and geologic quadrangle maps, schematic diagrams showing construction details and materials of the well, chemical analysis data of the injection fluid, process descriptions, procedures for operation and maintenance, geologic/geographic information collected during construction, facility blueprints, and erosion and sediment control construction diagrams may be required.

Form Description Number Form
Application for Permit of a Class I Underground Injection Well Contact the Division of Water Resources for a Class 1 Injection Well Permit
Application for Authorization to Operate a Class V Underground Injection Well or Storm Water Discharge to the Subsurface or Modification of a Karst Feature CN-1106 PDF

How Will My Application Be Processed?

When a Class V application is received, the Division will review it for completeness and notify the applicant of any deficiencies. Class V wells generally are authorized by reference in the Tennessee "Rules for Underground Injection Control." In this case, the applications are reviewed within two (2) to four (4) weeks. If the proposed project is complex, the Division will issue a permit rather than an authorization. A permit may take up to six (6) months to process.

What Fees Are Required?

There are fees for Class V injection wells.

What Are My Rights And Responsibilities After The

The applicant may proceed with the approved activities as stated in the permit and the rules. The permit/authorization is not transferable, but modifications can be made. In the case of a denial, the applicant has 30 days to file a petition with the Water Quality Control Board.

Applicants are responsible for meeting the operational requirements and conditions stated in the permit and in the rules. These include, but are not limited to, construction standards, operating requirements, monitoring, submittal of quarterly monitoring reports and other requirements as stated in the rule.

What Are The Division's Rights And Responsibilities After The Permit/Authorization Is Approved?

The Division has the right to inspect a facility annually or as deemed necessary. The Division has the right to revoke or suspend a permit for noncompliance of any standards, limitations or other requirements. Violators are subject to civil penalties  up to $10,000 per day.

Whom Do I Contact For Applications, Assistance And Other Information?

Applicants may obtain applications and information from the Tennessee Division of Water Resources, Ground Water Management Section, Underground Injection Control Program.  New applicants who need more than one permit can contact their Environmental Field Office for further assistance. 

Applicants may refer to the following publications for further information:

» TDEC Rule Chapter 0400-45-6: Underground Injection Control
» Tennessee Code § 69-3-101 et seq.: The Water Quality Control Act of 1977, as amended
» 40 CFR § 144: Underground Injection Control Program