Department of Human Services
Child Care Certificate Program Online Policy Manual
Certificate Program Eligibility
VERIFICATION OF CITIZENSHIP/ALIEN STATUS FOR LOW-INCOME AND TPACC CHILD CARE PROGRAM, AND NEW HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS IN OTHER PROGRAMS
When a Low-Income or TPACC applicant’s statement on citizenship or alien status is questionable or inconsistent with other information on the application, the applicant must provide acceptable verification of citizenship or alien status. It is the responsibility of the applicant to secure and present valid documentation. Acceptable forms of verification include:
· A birth certificate;
· INS certificate of citizenship or naturalization (U.S. nationals);
· A valid Voters Registration Card from the applicant’s county of residence (cards from out-of-county or out-of-state are not acceptable);
· A U.S. passport; or
· Religious records.
The following are not considered acceptable forms of verification for eligible alien
· Social Security card;
· Drivers license from any state; or
· Bank, credit, or check cashing cards.
If documentation is suspicious or appears to be invalid or falsified, additional documentation should be requested.
If the applicant acknowledges that she is an alien, then it must be verified if the individual is an “eligible alien” able to receive federal benefits.
Child Care programs will utilize Families First policy with respect to eligible alien status.
When documentation and utilization of the SAVE system is not adequate to satisfy alien status verification requirements, please follow the secondary verification procedures below:
1. Complete INS Form G-845 for each applicant who is not a U.S. citizen.
2. Copy the verification used to establish satisfactory immigration status.
3. Attach a copy of the verifications to the Form G-845 (USCIS requests that we staple the verifications to Form G-845 in the upper left-hand corner using only one staple).
4. Submit the verification and Form G-845 to USCIS at the address below:
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
470-490 L`Enfant Plaza East, SW
Washington, D.C. 20024
Attn: Immigration Status Verification Unit
Review the returned Form G-845 to ensure that legal alien status is validated and document CLRC.