Department of Human Services

Families First Online Policy Manual





Table of Contents


        Temporary absences from the state with subsequent returns, or intent to return once the purpose of the absence has been accomplished, do not terminate residence.


-         When a recipient of Families First notifies the Department that he is leaving the state temporarily, the caseworker will need to determine if the assistance should be continued. The caseworker will determine if the AU continues to maintain an identifiable residence in the State and if there are plans to return to the residence and if the AU has applied for or is receiving assistance in the state where the AU presently is visiting.


-         If the absence appears to be temporary, usually not to exceed three months, and the plan is to return to the residence, assistance will be continued.


-         There are instances when the child may be absent for a longer period of time or have long-term specific absences from the home. For example, a child may be in a school that requires the child to reside out of the home, but the caretaker provides for the child and maintains care and control of the child.


-         If the absence appears to be permanent, or there is not a plan to return to the state or the AU has applied for/is receiving assistance in the other state, assistance will be discontinued.


        When it is determined that the assistance unit is temporarily in another county but the AU retains their residence, assistance may continue in the county of residence.


        When it is determined that the assistance unit has moved their residence to another county within the state, the assistance unit case must be transferred to the new county of residence.



Table of Contents