Department of Human Services

Families First Online Policy Manual

Treatment of Income




Table of Contents


Resident Farm Laborer


The regular monthly income figure will be used to determine the amount of the Families First grant.


Irregular Income - Single Employer


In some instances, the AU is paid for work done only during the work season, but resides year round on the farm and may receive advance or deferred payments, (sometimes known as “furnish”), during the non-work season.  Some difficulty may be experienced in assigning an income figure to the farm worker whose income is high during the work season and correspondingly low during the non-work season when income is only from advance or deferred payments.


Irregular income is to be averaged over a 12-month period.


Regular or Irregular Income - Multiple Employers


When a farm laborer works regularly for more than one employer, the total income from all employers must be determined and then it is treated in the same manner as that received from a single employer.  If work for multiple employers as irregular, the food stamp certification period should reflect actual income or variable basis of issuance should be assigned.


Migrant Farm Laborer


It must be determined whether migrants have out-of-state income from real property in the home base area.   A migrant family is permitted one home and lot as an exemption from resources as any other AU.


The income of children in migrant households will be treated as that of any other child for whom eligibility is being determined.  If the amount of income belonging exclusively to a child cannot be determined, prorate equally the total income of all household members and treat the child’s prorata share as his/her own income.


School Employees


The average monthly income of school employees will be considered available during the months it is received.  Please note that some school employees are paid 9 months of the year, some are paid 10 months, and some receive pay 12 months.  The caseworker must determine the pay arrangement a school employee may have so that income can be considered in appropriate months.


Income of Other Contractual Employees


The average monthly income of persons employed on a contractual basis (other than school employees) will be considered as income during the period covered by the contract.


Temporary Employment of Person Under Contract


In some instances, an employee under contract may accept temporary employment.  For example:  Many teachers and other school employees accept temporary employment during the summer months.


After the appropriate earned income exclusions, disregards and deductions, income from temporary employment will be budgeted as available only in the months received.  The same procedures outline in the section below on unemployment compensation will be followed.


Unemployment Compensation


Employees with annual contracts such as school employees may be eligible for unemployment compensation when their employment ends.  The client must be questioned to determine:


·        Whether or not he/she has filed a claim for unemployment compensation benefits.

·        If benefits are being received.

·        The amount of the benefits.


Count unemployment compensation as income only in the months in which it is received.  Do not annualize unemployment compensation benefits with income from contractual employment.  The monthly amount of the unemployment compensation benefit will be added to the annualized monthly income from employment to determine income available to meet current needs.  This will require possible adjustments in the grant both at the beginning and the end of the unemployment compensation benefit period.



Table of Contents