Department of Human Services

Families First Online Policy Manual

Assistance Unit




Table of Contents


Policy Statement


A minor parent may apply for Families First for his/her child.However, if the minor parent lives in, or moves into, the home with a parent or a caretaker relative who is applying for, or receiving assistance for, at least one child that is a half or whole sibling of the minor parent, the minor parent and the child(ren) of the minor parent for whom he/she is applying, must be included in the AU with the minor parentís parent.


Note: Refer to Mandatory AU Members for further discussion on when the minor parentís child is included/optional.


A minor may apply for, and receive Families First for, siblings or other relatives to whom he/she is within the proper degree of relationship, if the minor is providing a home for the child.The minor relative may be included in the AU if he/she meets requirements as caretaker.The minor parent who receives assistance for his/her child and receives assistance for siblings will have two AUs.The minor will be included in the AU with his/her own child.


Living Arrangement Requirement:


A Families First applicant under the age of 18, who has never been married and is pregnant or has a dependent child in his/her care, must live in the home with his/her parent, legal guardian, other adult relative, or a foster home, maternity home, or other supportive living arrangement supervised by an adult, as a condition of eligibility for the minor and his/her child.


School Attendance:


A minor single parent (less than age 18) who is an eligible child in his/her parentís AU, has not completed high school or does not have a GED, and whose child is 1 year of age or older, must attend high school, GED classes, or an alternative educational or training program that is approved by the Department.Bulletin 20, FA-10-09


The failure of a minor parent who is an eligible child in his/her parentís AU to attend school will result in the removal of the minorís needs from the AU.


The failure of a minor parent who is the caretaker of his/her own AU to attend school or participate in a 30 hour work requirement will result in a full family sanction.


Work/Work Preparation Requirements:


There is no work requirement during the school year other than attending school, unless the minor caretaker chooses to participate in the 30 hour work requirement.There is no work requirement during the summer and or school breaks as long as the minor intends to return to school.




The minor parent is not required to live in the home of a parent, legal guardian, adult relative, foster home, maternity home, or other supportive living arrangement when:


The Department determines after investigation that there is a good cause for the separate living arrangement and the health or safety of the applicant or the dependent child(ren) would be jeopardized if they were required to live in one of the arrangements specified.


The person applying for assistance has no parent, other adult relative, or legal guardian whose whereabouts are known.


No parent, other adult relative, or legal guardian of the applicant allows the applicant to live in his/her home.


Good Cause


Good cause for a separate living arrangement must be explored with the minor parent applicant.Good cause reasons may include, but are not limited to, such situations as illegal substance abuse, abuse of alcohol, physical or mental abuse of the applicant or child, serious overcrowding in the home, or dangerous or potentially dangerous physical environment.Caseworkers must use ďcommon senseĒ judgment when making this determination.


When good cause is not established, the minor parent and child(ren) are ineligible.




        Verify the living arrangement of the minor parent.


        Verify any good cause claim.


        Verify school attendance or good cause for not attending school.


        Verify relationship of all individuals to all other individuals in the home.




        The case management and eligibility system record must identify all individuals in the home and the verification of their relationship to each other.


        The minor parent screen must be complete.If the minor parent is not living with a parent, relative, or guardian, the record must contain documentation supporting good cause or failure to meet good cause.


        The record must have verification of school attendance or documentation to support good cause.




        Identify and record all members of the AUís household.


        Establish the minor parentís living arrangement criteria.


        Determine if good cause is met when the minor parent does not meet the living arrangement criteria.


        Verify school attendance or good cause for not attending.


When a minor parent meets the requirement or has good cause for failing to meet the requirement:


        Include the minor and his/her child(ren) in the AU when the minorís parent in the home does not receive Families First or when the minor has been determined to meet the criteria for maintaining a separate residence.If the minorís parent receives Families First for the minorís sibling(s), the minor will be included in the parentís AU.


        Deem the income of the non-recipient parent living with a minor parent applicant/recipient as available to the AU.


        Name a payee to receive the minor parentís grant when:


-         The minor parent is age 14 or under.

-         The minor parent lives with a parent, other adult relative, or a legal guardian.

-         The services of a payee are needed to assist the minor in managing the cash payment.


        Establish protective payee when appropriate.


        Develop the Personal Responsibility Plan activities.



Table of Contents