Skip to Content

Frequently Asked Questions - Fraud

I have information about someone who is collecting unemployment insurance benefits and working for cash on the side. Whom do I contact to report the fraud?

You may report someone who is fraudulently collecting unemployment benefits by contacting Benefit Payment Control as follows.
By mail:

Benefit Payment Control
220 French Landing Drive
Nashville, TN 37243-1002

By E-mail:
By phone:


The department considers the information confidential and will protect the identity of the person reporting fraud. For more information about the department’s fraud detection and deterrence efforts, visit the Reporting Fraud site at

How are fraudulent claims prevented?


The department and employers work together to prevent fraudulent claims. When an individual files a UI claim, we ask for several identifying pieces of data. In addition, employers assist the department in identifying whether the individual filing the claim is the correct individual. We notify the last employer, former employers and current employers when a claim is filed.
The following documents help us prevent fraudulent claims:

Notice of Claim Filed and Request for Separation Information (LB-0810) is sent to the last employer when a UI claim is filed.

Employer Notice of Claim Filed card (LB-0502)is sent to all base period employers after a claimant files an initial claim


UI benefits are taxable, and we report the amount of benefits paid to the Internal Revenue Service. This is an additional safeguard.

I already responded to a departmental notice about one of my employees. Why did I get a Notice of Claim filed and Request for Separation Information (LB-0810)?

When a claim for benefits is filed, a statement is taken from the claimant. If additional information is needed, a Notice of Claim Filed and Request for Separation Information (LB-0810) form letter is mailed to the separating employer requesting information on the reason for separation. This form letter includes one of a set of questionnaires that are specific to a particular issue.


It is very important for employers to return the reason for separation information promptly; otherwise, the claimant’s eligibility determination must be based upon the claimant’s statement and any other available information. If we do not have the employer’s separation information, an otherwise ineligible claimant, could receive benefits and the employer charged for those benefits.

Will my reserve account be charged for fraudulent UI claims?

If you are a premium-paying employer, any incorrect charges will be removed. If you are a reimbursable employer, your account is charged for any payments that were issued. Questions regarding your reserve or reimbursable account should be directed to the telephone number listed below:
Call the Fraud Unit at (615) 741-2606 or e-mail us at