» County and City Web Sites
Select a county for more information.
Explore Counties & Cities in Tennessee
Enter a zip code, a city OR a county:
Most Popular County Pages
Counties & Cities Listings
Geography & Quick Facts
- 6,296,254, the 17th largest state
- Size of the State
- About 491 miles long and 115 miles wide
- Total Area
- 42,146 square miles
- 41,220 square miles
- 926 square miles
- Geographic Center
- 5 miles NE of Murfreesboro in Rutherford County. Longitude: 86° 37.3'W, Latitude: 35° 47.7'N
- Bordering States
- Kentucky, Virginia, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, North Carolina, Missouri and Arkansas
- Record Temperatures
- Highest: 113°F recorded on July 29 and August 9, 1930 in Perryville.
Lowest: -32°F recorded on December 30, 1917 at Mountain City.
- Average Rainfall Per Year
- 52.98 inches
- Highest Point
- Clingman's Dome, 6,643 feet, in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
- Lowest Point
- Mississippi Bottoms, 178 feet above sea level near the Mississippi River.
- Major Rivers
- Tennessee, Mississippi, Cumberland, Clinch, Duck
- Major Lakes
- Kentucky, Norris, Chickamauga, Cherokee, Tims Ford Reservoir