Division of Planning, Research and Forensics
THE OFFICE OF PLANNING
The Office of Planning coordinates TDMHSAS planning activities and responsibilities, including the development of:
- TDMHSAS Three Year Plan, required by Title 33, Tennessee Code Annotated: The Three-Year Plan informs the public of the Department’s goals, objectives, and strategies that include prevention, early intervention, treatment services and supports for people living with mental illness, serious emotional disturbance, and/or substance abuse disorders. An annual assessment of need for services and supports is used in the development of this plan.
- Annual Strategic Plan, required by Part 56, Chapter 4, Title 9, Tennessee Code Annotated : The Annual Strategic Plan informs the public and assists the General Assembly in making meaningful decisions regarding the allocation of resources.,
- Joint Annual Report: The Joint Annual Report is created in conjunction with the Statewide Planning and Policy Council on the service delivery system that includes programs, treatment services, supports, and facilities of the Department. The report is provided to the Governor.
- Community Mental Health Services Block Grant Application and State Plan: The Community Mental Health Block Grant provides funds to establish or expand an organized community-based system of care for providing non-Title XIX mental health services to children with serious emotional disturbances and adults with serious mental illness. (This is required by the Public Health Service Act [42 USC 300x-21-64].)
- Mental Health Block Grant Implementation Report: This report is submitted to SAMSHA annually to provide information on purchases made with block grant dollars.
- Grant Collection resource: A resource database designed to identify potential funding sources to assist providers in locating additional funds.
- Grant Source newsletter: A quarterly publication that provides information on existing grants being implemented and valuable details on successful grant seeking and monitoring.
Planning and Policy Councils
The Office of Planning also coordinates the Statewide and Regional Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services Planning and Policy Councils, which are established under T.C.A. §33-1-401 and T.C.A. §33-2-202 (mental health and developmental disability law). Title 33 of the Tennessee Code Annotated requires a structured planning process of council participation. These Councils include the participation of consumers, family members of consumers, providers, and advocates. Council participants advise TDMHSAS on the development of the Three-Year Plan, including a desirable array of prevention, early intervention, treatment services, and supports for individuals and their families. The Councils also assist the TDMHSAS in the annual assessment of need for mental health and substance abuse services. Furthermore, the Council advises the TDMHSAS of policy, formation of budget requests, and the development of and evaluation of services. Click here for more information and for the Planning and Policy Council meeting schedule.
RMHI Board of Trustees
Each of the Department’s Regional Mental Health Institutes has a board to advise the CEOs and inform the public about the needs and activities of each facility. Members are appointed by the commissioner for three-year terms. People interested in serving on the Boards of Trustees should send their curriculum vitae to Vicki.Pillow@tn.gov.