Listed below are pertinent statutes governing Cosmetology Instructor license.
Tennessee Code Annotated 62-4-114. Instructor's continuing education. - Practice by instructor - Instructor may become licensed as cosmetologist - Inactive status
- To maintain an active instructor's license, an instructor shall every two (2) years submit to the board
satisfactory proof that the instructor has attended a board-approved instructor training program in
cosmetology for a minimum of twenty-four (24) hours. Persons obtaining an initial instructor's license shall
attend a board-approved instructor training program in cosmetology after receiving such licenses.
- The board may, in its discretion, grant up to one (1) year for submission of such proof upon a showing
of good cause, including, but not limited to, illness or emergency. However, no such extension of time shall
relieve an instructor from meeting any future deadline for compliance with this subsection.
- The active license of any instructor who fails to comply with this subsection shall become invalid and
- Before an instructor's license expires, an instructor may notify the board of the instructor's
intention to place the license on inactive status. Such notice of intention shall be accompanied by
the regular license fee, but the instructor shall be relieved of the obligation to attend the
otherwise required board approved training program. An instructor may stay on inactive status as
long as the appropriate fees are paid on a regular basis. To change a license from inactive status
to active status, the instructor shall attend a board approved instructor training program in
cosmetology for a minimum of twenty-four (24) hours.
- Any person who holds a valid active license as a cosmetology instructor may engage in the
practice of cosmetology under such license. However, no instructor may render cosmetology services
in a school, except such services as are directly incidental to the instruction of students.
- Any person whose instructor's license expires or becomes invalid may, within sixty (60) days
after the date of expiration or invalidity, obtain a cosmetologist's license from the board upon
payment of a fee set by the board
If you desire your Cosmetology Instructor license to be placed on inactive status, you must submit a written
request to the board. You will need to attend your first seminar during the two years following your first
renewal and every other year after that.
NOTE: Attending the required seminars is your responsibility. You will not receive notification from
the board for any seminar. It is very important to keep your mailing address current, as seminar sponsors
take their mailing list from computer files.