LICENSING A SCHOOL
Owners of the new school must submit an application accompanied by the appropriate fee and a floor plan to
be approved by the Board. If the application and floor plan are approved at a Board meeting a tentative
inspection date will be scheduled and the owner advised. If the school passes inspection by at least one
(1) Board Member, upon receipt of the inspection sheet, a license will issued.
Change of Ownership/Location
An application for change of location must be accompanied by the appropriate fee and a floor plan to be
approved by the Board. If the application and floor plan are approved at a Board meeting a tentative
inspection date will be scheduled and the owner advised. Application for change of ownership do not need to
be accompanied by a floor plan. If the school passes inspection by at least one (1) Board Member, upon receipt
of the inspection sheet, a license will be issued.
School renewal applications are mailed out two months prior to the expiration date. Cosmetology school
licenses expire on September 1st and must be renewed annually. A board member and an inspector each must inspect
the schools on an annual basis. A penalty fee of ten ($10.00) will be assessed on any renewal application
postmarked after the expiration date of the license.
Requirements for School License:
- The Board of Cosmetology will not issue, reissue or renew a license to operate a school of cosmetology or
authorize a change of ownership or location of a school of cosmetology, unless the school is equipped with at
least the following:
- A minimum of two (2) restroom facilities;
- one (1) work station with adjustable chair per student working on the clinic floor, with a minimum of twenty (20) stations;
- five (5) shampoo basins adequately spaced with hot and cold running water;
- five (5) manicure tables;
- ten (10) floor based hooded dryers;
- ten (10) mannequins;
- one (1) sitting arrangement in the theory classroom for each student attending class;
- one (1) wet sterilizer at each student work station;
- enclosed storage area for clean towels;
- enclosed container for soiled towels;
- covered trash containers maintained in a sanitary condition;
- sufficient ultra violet sanitizer and/or dry sterilization at each student's work station;
- A posted sign stating that all services are performed by students;
- adequate waiting area for customers; and
- time sheet/time clock
- A proposed floor plan must be submitted to and approved by the Board before:
- issuance of a license to operate a new cosmetology school;
- issuance of a license to operate a cosmetology school whose ownership has changed;
- reissuance of a license to operate a relocated cosmetology school;
- a branch school shall be considered a new school and closed to the public for ninety (90) days.
- The floor plan shall provide for and the school shall contain, at least 2200 sq. ft. of instructional floor space, including an enclosed classroom for theory instruction. The building shall meet all applicable fire and building regulations prescribed by state or local government.
- The requirements of the school or enrollment of students are:
- every cosmetology school shall maintain documentation in each student's file which evidences age and education which meets eligibility requirements for enrollment.
- every enrollment of a student in a cosmetology school shall be evidenced by a written enrollment agreement, signed by both parties, which clearly details the rights and obligations of both parties.
- the school shall furnish to the student an executed copy of the enrollment agreement and maintain a copy of the agreement in the student's file.
- Every student enrollment agreement shall:
- be signed and dated by the student and an authorized representative of the school;
- specify the number of clock hours in the course of instruction and an approximate number of weeks or months required for completion;
- identify all costs and charges which the student must bear;
- indicate any grounds for termination of a student by the school;
- state in clear and understandable language the school's refund policy
- list any special conditions or requirements for graduation; and
- contain an acknowledgment that the student has read and understands the agreement before making any payment thereunder.
- All documentation agreements required under this rule shall be available for inspection by members or inspectors of the Board during business hours.
Every cosmetology school or college shall, upon completion or discontinuance of the course of instruction by a student, furnish him or her a transcript showing accumulated hours of instruction. The school or college shall simultaneously furnish a copy of such transcript to the office of the Board.