Skip to Content

Temporary Tags/Temporary Operation Permits

NOTE: Please click here to read an important announcement from the Department of Revenue regarding changes to the temporary operation permits policy.

You could possibly get one if:

  • You have title problems.

    Items to bring are:
    • Ownership papers
    • Proof that something is being done to clear up problem
    • Driver's license
    • $10 fee

A check will be done to determine if the law allows an additional temporary tag/temporary operation permit. If you need further information or do not fall under the category above, contact our office at (615) 741-3101.

NOTE: Temporary Operation Permits CANNOT be issued on salvage vehicles.

Documents necessary to issue the temporary operation permit may be presented to either a participating Tennessee county clerk or directly to the Department of Revenue.  Click here to find your county clerk's contact information - please contact your clerk's office directly to ensure they can assist you.  Otherwise, you may visit one of the following Department of Revenue offices from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., local time, Monday through Friday:

Chattanooga Office
540 McCallie Ave., Suite 350
Chattanooga, TN 37402
(423) 634-6266

Columbia Office
2486 Plus Park Dr., Suite A
Columbia, TN 38402
(931) 380-2523

Cookeville Office
1100 England Drive, Suite 4A
Cookeville, TN 38501
(931) 526-9699

Jackson Office
Lowell Thomas State Office Building
225 Dr. Martin Luther King Dr., Suite 340
Jackson, TN 38301
(731) 423-5747

Knoxville Office
7175 Strawberry Plains Pike, Suite 300
Knoxville, TN 37914
(865) 594-6100

Memphis Office
3150 Appling Road
Bartlett, TN 38133
(901) 213-1400