Skip to Content

Imported Vehicles

To title and/or register a vehicle that has been imported into the United States, the vehicle must meet the rules of importation required by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). An application for a Tennessee title and/or registration must be supported with the following information:

  • MSO/MCO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin or Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin)
  • Bill of sale
  • Form HS-7 Declaration (Importation of Motor Vehicles and Motor Vehicle Equipment Subject to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety, Bumper and Theft Prevention Standards). This form is required by the U.S. Department of Transportation. Click on this link for a copy of this form.
  • A clear and legible photograph of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards Label. All vehicles entering the United States properly will have a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards Label on the vehicle.

Persons needing to verify the manufacturer listed on the MSO/MCO by the vehicle identification number (VIN) may do so through NHTSA's Web site by clicking on this link.

For a list of frequently asked questions regarding vehicle importation and certifications, please click this link to be redirected to NHTSA's Web site.

Note: The information above does not apply to vehicles coming into Tennessee from another state (previously titled). These vehicles would have already complied with all NHTSA requirements.

References: Tenn. Code Ann. Sections 55-2-107, 55-17-109 and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.