Skip to Content

Frequently Asked Questions

Question 2

How can I change the address on my Tennessee driver license or handgun carry permit?

Answer: By law, you are required to notify the Tennessee Department of Safety of any address changes. However, you do not necessarily need to get a new license or permit.  This includes address changes by the U.S. Postal Service or your local Emergency 911 Communications District  even though you may not have physically moved.  Notifying the U.S. Postal Service of an address change will not provide the information to us. By failing to notify us, you could miss the renewal date of your license, or other important correspondence from the Department of Safety.

If you want a new license issued that reflects your new address, you may go to a driver service center, pay the appropriate fees, and have a new license issued; or you may visit our Online Services to see if you are eligible to apply for a duplicate with the new address on-line.

The quickest and easiest way to change your address is online by visiting the Department of Safety's Online Driver Services menu.

NOTE: Changing your driver license address automatically updates your handgun carry permit information. If you update your handgun carry permit information, your driver license information is automatically changed too.

Remember, name changes must be made in person at one of our Driver Services Center locations.

For more general driver license information (general info, office locations, online services etc.) visit Driver Services.

Back to Driver Services FAQs