(a) This section may be known and cited as “Tennessee's Transitioning Youth Empowerment Act of 2010.”
(b) The department of children's services is authorized to develop a program to provide services to youth who are transitioning to adulthood from state custody. Services may be provided on a voluntary basis to any person who is at least eighteen (18) years of age but less than twenty-one (21) years of age, who was in the custody of the department at the time of the person's eighteenth birthday and who is:
(1) Completing secondary education or a program leading to an equivalent credential;
(2) Enrolled in an institution which provides postsecondary or vocational education;
(3) Participating in a program or activity designed to promote or remove barriers to employment;
(4) Employed for at least eighty (80) hours per month; or
(5) Incapable of doing any of the activities described in subdivisions (b)(1)-(4) due to a medical condition, including a developmental or intellectual condition, which incapability is supported by regularly updated information in the permanency plan of the person. In such a case the person shall be in compliance with a course of treatment as recommended by the department.
(c) Services may also be made available to any person who meets the requirements of subsection (b) but refused such services at the time of the person's eighteenth birthday if at any time the person seeks to regain services prior to the person's twenty-first birthday.
(d) The advisory committee established in § 37-2-601 shall serve as an advisory committee for programs and services established by this section.
(e) The commissioner of children's services shall establish policies and procedures in order to create and implement this program.
(f) The department is authorized to seek federal funding or to participate in federal programs developed for this purpose.
Acts 2010, ch. 1065, §§ 1-3.
Compiler's Notes. Acts 2010, ch. 1065, § 5 provided that the act, which enacted this section, shall be repealed June 30, 2012. The repeal of the act shall not affect any programs that provide services to youth who are transitioning to adulthood from state custody and that are administered by the department of children's services prior to July 1, 2010.