Skip to Content

Consumer Resources Section

The Tennessee Department of Financial Institutions Consumer Resources Section is a clearinghouse for financial information and education. The division offers assistance to Tennesseans looking for information on how to deal with financial institutions regulated by the department.

If you have an issue with a financial institution, first, you should try to resolve the issue with the financial institution. If you have attempted to work with the institution but need more assistance, you can file a complaint with the department. Here are the ways to file a complaint with TDFI:

          1. Register the complaint online at
          2. If you need to furnish supporting documentation to coincide with a recently submitted complaint, or else you are an institution which needs to submit a response to a consumer complaint, please send this documentation using this link:
          3. Call 1-800-778-4215 to receive a consumer complaint form
          4. Fax a completed consumer complaint form to 615-253-7794
          5. Request a form via e-mail at
          6. Mail a completed consumer complaint form to:
            Tennessee Department of Financial Institutions
            400 Deaderick Street, 6th Floor
            Nashville, TN 37243

Once the complaint is completed and sent to the department, the complaint will be assigned to a Consumer Resources Specialist to review. If more information is needed, the assigned specialist will contact you. The complaint and supporting documentation will be sent to the financial institution or licensee. The institution will provide a written response to the department once the complaint is reviewed. Once the institution's response is reviewed by the Consumer Resources Specialist, we will respond to you in a timely manner.

Please note that the department cannot act as a court of law or as an attorney on the complainant's behalf, provide legal advice, or become actively involved in complaints that are in litigation or have been resolved by the court system.

If a complaint involves a financial institution that is not under the department's regulatory authority, the following organizations will be able to help you continue with the complaint process.

For complaints against national banks and their subsidiaries, contact:
Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
Customer Assistance Group
1301 McKinney Street, Suite 3450 Houston, TX 77010

For complaints against federal savings banks and their subsidiaries, contact:
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
P.O. Box 4503, Iowa City, Iowa 52244
(855) 411-CFPB (2372)

For complaints against federal credit unions, contact:
National Credit Union Administration
1775 Duke Street Alexandria, VA 22314-3428