Skip to Content

How to Apply

You can apply for TennCare at  You can also call 1-800-318-2596.

If you want to apply by mail, you can find the paper application here.

Need help applying? There are at least three ways that you can get help:

  1. You can go to any DHS office in any of Tennessee’s 95 counties.  A trained staff person there will help you apply.  Over 350 state employees are trained to help you.  Click here to find the DHS office in your county.

  2. You can get help from private groups.  Click here to find someone near you.  You can also call 1-866-720-1711.

  3. You can call also 1-800-318-2596 to apply directly over the phone.

If you have a disability, someone can even come to your house to help you apply for TennCare. Just call your local Area Agency on Aging and Disability (AAAD) at 1-866-836-6678.

If you need help getting Long Term Care or you want to apply the Medicare Savings Program, click here.


Do you need help with TennCare?


Need help with Medicare costs?

You can apply for the Medicare Savings Program. This may help pay your Medicare premiums and cost-sharing. Click here to learn more about the program.  For help applying, call 1-877-801-0044.  Also, applications are available at:

Need help with long-term care?

If you have TennCare, you can call your TennCare health plan (MCO). The number is on your TennCare card.

If you have an intellectual disability or are helping someone with an intellectual disability apply for long term care, call the Department of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (DIDD) for free at 1-800-535-9725.

If you don't have TennCare, contact your local Area Agency on Aging and Disability (AAAD) for free at 1-866-836-6678. Even if you don't qualify for Medicaid, they can tell you about other programs that may help. If you have a disability, they will even come to your house to help you apply for TennCare. You can also call us at 1-855-259-0701 for help over the phone.

For other places you can call for help: