Skip to Content

Do you need to know how to file an eligibility appeal?

Are You Waiting for a Decision on Your Application?

TennCare can help. Some people applied at but have still not gotten a decision.  If you have waited for a decision for more than 45 days (or more than 90 days if you applied for long-term care) you can now ask for a “delay hearing”.  To start the process, call us at 1-855-259-0701 OR click here.  Fill out the page and follow the instructions to send to us.

You may be able to enroll your baby right now.  TennCare and CoverKids have made it easy to enroll newborns over the phone:

  • If you are already on TennCare, call 1-855-259-0701 when you have your baby.
  • If you are on CoverKids, call 1-866-620-8864 when you have your baby. 
  • If you don’t have TennCare or CoverKids, you can apply for your baby over the phone. Call 1-855-259-0701.


Has your application been denied?  Or do you have to pay co-pays and disagree with how much you have to pay?  Or do we have your income or family size wrong?

There are 2 ways to file a TennCare eligibility appeal:

1. Appeal by phone by calling 1-855-259-0701.

2. OR, appeal in writing. You can get an appeal page here. Or, you can write your appeal on plain paper. If you write your appeal on plain paper, be sure you include:

  • Your full name (first name, middle initial, last name)
  • Your Social Security Number
  • The names of anyone else in your household with the same problem
  • Your daytime phone number and the best time to call
  • The specific mistake you think we made
  • Any proof that shows why you think we made that mistake

Mail your appeal to this address:

Tennessee Health Connection
P.O. Box 305240
Nashville, TN 37230-5240.

Or fax it to 1-855-315-0669.  It's a free fax line.

Keep a copy of your appeal. Write down the date that you mailed or faxed it to us. If you fax it, keep the page that shows your fax went through.

Need Help with Your Appeal?

Is it because you have a health, mental health, or learning problem or a disability?  OR, do you need help in another language?  If so, you have a right to get help.  Call 1-855-259-0701.

Someone who has the legal right to act for you can also file an appeal for you.

Do you have a mental illness and need help with your TennCare? The TennCare Advocacy Program can help you. Call them for free at 1-800-758-1638.

Finally, Legal Services or Legal Aid may give you free help with your appeal. To find out more, click on the link below for the organization that serves your area.


View this document in a printable (pdf, 18kb).