TRA Name Change FAQs
When do I need to notify the TRA?
If you are a public utility, and you are
changing your registered business name,
adopting an assumed business name,
or discontinuing the use of an assumed business name.
You are required to notify the Authority at least thirty days before offering services to Tennessee customers under the new name.
do I need to submit to the TRA?
A notification of any
change referenced above shall include all of the following,
- For public utilities operating as either a corporation,
limited liability company, or limited liability partnership,
verification that the public utility has registered the changed or
assumed business name with the Office of the Tennessee Secretary of
State in compliance with the requirements of Tenn. Code Ann. 48-14-103, 48-54-103, 48-207-103, or 61-2-103.
- For public utilities providing telecommunications services
in the State of Tennessee, verification that the changed or assumed
business name has been recorded in the public utility's surety bond or
letter of credit obtained pursuant to Tenn. Code Ann. 65-4-125.
- If the public utility is currently serving end user customers in the State of Tennessee, a copy of the proposed notice to be sent to the utility's Tennessee customers for the purpose of informing these customers of the anticipated change in business name, adoption of an assumed business name, or removal of an assumed business name.
- If the public utility intends to use more than one business name to provide services in the State of Tennessee, a notice specifying which services will be provided to customers under each name.
- A check in the amount of $25.00 made payable to the Tennessee Regulatory Authority to cover the filing fee.
What happens next?
The notification will be assigned a docket number. The TRA Staff will review the notification to ensure that it complies with Authority Rule 1220-4-1-.08. If the application is found to be in compliance with Authority Rule 1220-4-1-.08, the name change will be placed on a regularly scheduled Authority Conference Agenda for consideration by a panel of Directors.
Upon approval by the Authority, a new tariff cover sheet which reflects the new name should be filed.If notification is incomplete or is not compliant with Authority Rule 1220-4-1.08, you will be contacted by Authority Staff for revisions.
To whom do I send the application and do I enclose a fee?
Send the applicantion to
Tennessee Regulatory Authority
502 Deaderick Street, 4th Floor
Nashville, TN 37243