It was abolished in 1919 and incorporated into
Hamilton County where its records are held.
The county seat was Ooltewah.
SELECTED PUBLISHED COUNTY HISTORIES
- *James County : A Lost County of Tennessee (Donnelly, 1983) [name index]*
PUBLISHED LOCAL RECORDS
- 1880 Census, James County, Tennessee (Sistler, 1991) [alphabetical by head of household]*
- James County, TN Marriages, 1913-1919 (Douthat, 1986) [surname index]*
LOCAL RECORDS ON MICROFILM
Most James County records were destroyed by fire. A few scattered records are stored at the Hamilton County courthouse and the Chattanooga Bicentennial Library. These records have not been microfilmed.
- Census on microfilm for James County: 1880, 1900-1910
- State-wide census index: 1880
- State-wide census index on microfilm (Soundex): 1880, 1900-1910
- James County census records in book form: 1880*
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES FOR JAMES COUNTY
* Indicates this title may be borrowed on Interlibrary Loan from TSLA.
Updated January 15, 2010