Clinch River Regional Library
Clinch River Region
Clinch River Regional Library will make libraries better by:
Clinch River Regional Library was established on July 1, 2012 with the former Clinch-Powell Regional Library and three counties (Grainger, Jefferson and Sevier) of the Nolichucky Regional Library. The Nolichucky Regional Library had its start in the Cherokee Dam Area Regional Library in July 1941 with Grainger, Hawkins, and Jefferson counties. Hamblen county joined the region later in 1941. The Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) provided the funding for the region, while the administration was provided by the Lawson McGhee Library in Knoxville. The Cherokee Dam Area Regional Library closed in February 1942 and the counties were transferred to the Douglas Dam Area Regional Library with the addition of Cocke and Sevier counties in March 1942. The region was re-named the Nolichucky Regional Library in December 1945.
The Cllinch-Powell Regional Library also had its beginnings with the support of TVA. The Norris Library was founded in the 1930's because of the construction of Norris Dam. Local efforts provided the Clinton Public Library in 1941. This became the headquarters for the Anderson County Regional Library which became the Clinch-Powell Regional Library in January 1946 with the inclusion of Campbell, Morgan, Scott and Union counties. Claiborne County joined the Clinch-Powell Regional Library in July 1956.
The nine counties of the Clinch River Regional Library include Anderson, Campbell, Claiborne, Grainger, Jefferson, Morgan, Scott, Sevier and Union. The Clinch River Regional Library has 375,335 inhabitants in the 9 county area, according to 2010 Census data. The area covers 3,677 square miles including remote mountainous terrain and several large river valleys. The region serves thirty-three public library locations.