Skip to Content

Tennessee Hunting & Fishing License Information

Buy Now! | Hunting Licenses | Fishing Licenses | Lifetime Sportsman License | License Codes

Go TWRA Mobile Web ApplicationHunting and fishing licenses go on sale February 18 each year, the beginning of prime fishing, and are valid until the last day of February the following year. Seasons are subject to change & license fees are subject to change. Migratory bird seasons are determined by federal regulations. Most licenses, except the Lifetime Sportsman License and specialty licenses, such as Wheelchair, Disabled Veteran, SSI (Supplemental Security Income), and Blind Fishing licenses, are available from most county clerks, sporting goods stores, hardware stores, boat docks, online, and from all TWRA offices.

Please note! License paper will remain orange until 2016 instead of changing color each year as it has in the past. Please don't be alarmed when your new license is the same color as your old one!

The Lifetime Sportsman License cannot be purchased online. Applications for this license may be obtained by calling the TWRA Nashville Office (615-781-6500), any of the four regional offices, or you can download an application and mail it to TWRA.

Learn About the New Big Game Check In Procedures & Harvest Logs

The TWRA is funded by two primary sources: license/permit sales and federal excise taxes (Pittman-Robertson and Wallop-Breaux). Tennessee's allocation of these federal taxes is based in part, on the number of hunters and fishermen in the state. The TWRA does not receive any funding from the State's general fund (i.e. state sales tax). Thank you for buying a license. Without your support, Tennessee would not have fish and wildlife management programs.

License Ordering By Mobile Device, Internet, Or Phone

For Customers

Purchase your licenses with your mobile phone or online using a credit card (Visa, Discover, or Mastercard). There is a processing fee for online license sales.

You may also call, toll-free, 1-888-814-8972 and charge your license(s) to Visa, Discover, or Mastercard. An authorization number will allow you to begin fishing or hunting (in season) the minute you hang up. You may purchase your license by telephone during the following hours: March through November (Monday through Saturday, 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. Central Time) and December through February (Monday through Saturday, 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Central Time). Please note, regular license fees plus a processing fee will be charged to your credit card when you use the toll-free number above.

For License Agents

The Help Desk is available March through November (Monday - Sunday, 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. Central Time & December through February (Monday through Saturday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Central Time)

What To Do If You've Misplaced Your License

All hunting and fishing licenses can be replaced, including the Lifetime Sportsman License. Please verify your address at the time of purchase. Go to any TWRA license agent or TWRA Regional Office for a replacement. All duplicate licenses cost $7.00.

Resident License Requirements

Resident licenses can be purchased by:

Persons who possess a valid Tennessee driver's license. Tennessee state law requires drivers to obtain a Tennessee driver's license within 30 days of residency. Out-of-state drivers license only accepted for Military Personnel and Students meeting the criteria below:

  • Military personnel on active duty in this state and their immediate families, who reside with them, regardless of resident status.
  • Students who are enrolled in a Tennessee school, college, or university for at least six months.

Persons who have lived in Tennessee for 90 consecutive days with the genuine intent of making Tennessee their permanent home. Proof of residency required.

  • Persons who do not drive or do not possess a valid driver’s license from another state, but who have lived in Tennessee for 90 consecutive days with the genuine intent of making Tennessee their permanent home, may prove residency by presenting to a TWRA license agent any two of the following documents:
    • Current Tennessee voter registration card
    • Current Tennessee vehicle registration or title
    • Form I-94 issued by the US Citizenship & Immigration Service
    • Current rental/mortgage contract or receipt including deed of sale for property or receipt for payment of Tennessee real estate taxes within last year

A Social Security Number is required to purchase a Tennessee hunting or fishing license.

Ammunition Tax Stamps

State law requires that all persons, firms, and corporations engaged in the business of buying, selling, distributing, storing, receiving, having in possession or using shotgun shells or metallic cartridges, shall pay a special privilege tax in addition to all other taxes in an amount or equal to 10 cents per individual container on all center-fire ammunition, all shotgun shells, and rim-fire ammunition. For more information about Ammunition Tax Stamps and how to obtain them, please contact the TWRA Revenue Office at 1-800-648-8798.

Becoming An Authorized TWRA License Agent

If you are interested in becoming a TWRA License Agent, please contact the TWRA Revenue Office at 1-800-648-8798.