AdoptUsKids l Adoption Process l Adoption Profiles l Advance Notice Registry
Becoming a Parent l Forever Family l Forms l Foster Care
Post Adoption Support l Records Access l Services to Parents l Adoption Attorneys
Effective July 1, 1996
RELEASE OF RECORDS
Legislation effective July 1, 1996 allowed certain persons the right to request access to adoption records, sealed records, and post adoption records of adoptions which were attempted or occurred on or after March 16, 1951. Those persons eligible to request access are:
• The adopted person 21 years of age or older
• The adopted person's birth/adoptive/step or legal parent 21 years of age or older
• The adopted person's birth or adoptive siblings 21 years of age or older
• The adopted person's lineal ancestors 21 years of age or older
• The adopted person's lineal descendants 21 years of age or older
• The legal representatives of any of these person
THESE SAME PERSONS MAY FILE WITH THE ADVANCE NOTICE REGISTRY.
Advance Notice Registry
The Advance Notice Registry has been established by the Department of Children's Services for the purpose of allowing eligible individuals to receive 15 days notice prior to the release of records.
The person filing with the Advance Notice Registry will only be notified of the impending release of records when such records contain identifying information about the filing person and the filing person meets all of the eligibility requirements. Notification of the impending release of records will be sent by certified mail, (return receipt requested) at the most recent address filed with the Registry.
NOTE: Persons ineligible to access adoption records and receive Advance Notification include:
• a parent or pre-adoptive guardian whose rights were involuntarily terminated for cause
• a sibling, lineal ancestor, spouse or legal representative of the person whose rights were involuntarily terminated for cause
• a person guilty of a crime of violence or neglect against the adopted person
Registration must be on a form supplied by the Department, and contain an original signature. Forms may be requested by contacting:
Department of Children's Services
Post Adoption Services
436 Sixth Avenue North
Nashville, TN 37243-1290
Access to Adoption Records
FOR RULES AND FORMS ON THE RELEASE OF NON-IDENTIFYING INFORMATION FROM RECORDS OF ADOPTIONS, CLICK HERE.
FOR COMPLETE RULES AND FORMS GOVERNING ACCESS TO ADOPTION RECORDS FOR ADOPTIONS FINALIZED ON AND AFTER MARCH 16, 1951, CLICK HERE.
For questions about adopting Tennessee children,
please contact DCS at 1-877-DCSKids (327-5437).