Frequently Asked Questions

How do I register a livestock brand?

Applications for brands may be obtained by contacting the Tennessee State Veterinarian’s office at 615-837-5120.

Who is required to have a livestock dealer’s license and how do you apply?

Livestock is defined as cattle, equine, swine, sheep, or goats.  Any person who buys, receives or assembles livestock for resale, either for such person’s own account or that of another person is considered a livestock dealer.  Applications may be obtained by contacting the Tennessee State Veterinarian’s office at 615-837-5120.

Do I need an Equine Infectious Anemia test to sell a horse in Tennessee?

Yes, all horses or other Equidae except foals less than six months of age in the company of their negative dam must have a negative official Equine Infectious Anemia test conducted within six months prior to sale. This test is not required for equine entering an approved livestock market for sale.  Equine Infectious Anemia testing shall be the responsibility of the seller.

Who do I contact regarding veterinary accreditation?

USDA, Veterinary Services at 615-781-5310

Who do I contact for information regarding animals to be exported outside the United States?

Animals exported outside the United States are subject to federal regulations. Contact USDA, Veterinary at 615-781-5310 for further information.

How do I have my poultry flock certified in the National Poultry Improvement Plan?

The Tennessee Department of Agriculture is the official state agency for the NPIP in Tennessee. Certification in the program requires that your flock be tested for Pullorum-Typhoid disease. Department of Agriculture personnel will come to your farm to conduct certification testing.

Please contact or call 615-837-5120 if you would like to learn how to participate.

More information regarding NPIP can be found here: NPIP | Animal Health (