Certificate of Free Sale
What is a Certificate of Free Sale?
Many countries around the world require certification documents to accompany products being imported into their country.
Per TCA 53-1-102 "Certificate of free sale" means a certificate issued by the department that certifies that the manufacturer of the food, nonprescription drugs, or cosmetics listed in the document is duly authorized to manufacture the products and either that: (A) The products may be sold freely to the public in the United States, and the manufacturer is in substantial compliance with this chapter as determined by an inspection conducted by the department; or (B) The manufacturer has provided the department with a complete copy of the report of the most recent inspection conducted by the United States food and drug administration for each Tennessee location where the foods, nonprescription drugs or cosmetic products for which the certificate is being sought are manufactured; and that, based on the inspection report or reports, it is evident that the manufacturer is authorized to sell the products freely in the United States.
How much does a Certificate of Free Sale cost?
Each certificate is $25.00.
Payment is due prior to the certificates being issued. Payment can be made by credit card, by calling 615-837-5193, or by check, made out to the Tennessee Department of Agriculture.
To acquire the certificate you will need the following:
- Current permit with the Department with a balance that is in good standing
- The most recent inspection must be on file with the Department
- Or provide the Department with a copy of the most recent inspection by the US Food and Drug Administration
How do I order a certificate?
E-mail requests to Consumer and Industry Service Food and Dairy Division at Certificate.email@example.com
How long does it take to get a certificate?
Certificates take up to ten (10) business days to issue. Certificates are mailed from the Department. If a firm would like to use Fed-Ex or UPS their account number/shipping label must be provided at the time the order is placed.
- Name of the product being exported
- Country to which product is to be exported
- Number of certificates needed for exportation
- Name(s) and address to which the certificates are to be sent
- Method of shipment information: FedEx account number/shipping label or UPS shipping label accepted
- Contact person and number with the company