Skip to Main Content

Hemp Industry

It’s Time to Harvest Hemp in Tennessee

This is an exciting time for hemp production in Tennessee. In an effort to streamline the regulatory process for farmers, the Tennessee Department of Agriculture offers the following guidelines.

Does my hemp crop need to be inspected and tested?

TDA conducts random sampling and is authorized to inspect or test any hemp crop at any time. 

TDA will contact growers who will be inspected.

You may not be contacted for inspection and testing if:
- you are growing for personal use
- or you are growing for fiber
- or you are growing less than 2 acres of hemp
- or your buyer is testing for THC through a private lab

If you are in one of the categories listed above and do want your crop inspected and tested, please contact us at 615-837-5137. The turnaround time for test results may vary, depending on demand. Please be aware that when you voluntarily choose to have your crop tested, the crop cannot be moved until the test results are finalized.

Do I need a movement permit?

You must have a movement permit before transporting rooted hemp plants and/or transporting harvested hemp to a processor for commercial purposes.

Although it’s not required in all instances, we strongly encourage you to have a permit before moving any hemp plants or plant material. It takes only a few minutes to apply for a movement permit online here.

Do I need to carry my hemp growing license?

Although it’s not required, we strongly encourage you to carry your hemp growing license when transporting any hemp plants or plant material.

Questions for Us?

Email or call 615-837-5137.

TDA Logo

Role: The Tennessee Department of Agriculture coordinates the rules and regulations of hemp production through Tennessee's hemp program.

Contact Information: Email or call 615-837-5137

Relevant Questions: 

  • Do I need a movement permit?
  • Can I add a growing area?
  • Can you tell me the rules?

Role: The Tennessee Hemp Industries Association is a non-profit association with the goal to provide support to state hemp farmers and businesses. 

Contact Information: Visit or email

Relevant Questions: 

  • Where can I find hemp seeds?
  • Who can I talk to that is growing near me?
  • Where can I find a processor?
UT Extension Logo

Role: UT Extension helps Tennesseans to improve their quality of life and solve problems through the application of research and evidenced-based knowledge about agriculture and natural resources.

Contact Information:

Relevant Questions: 

  • How do I plant this crop?
  • Do you have soil amendment suggestions?
  • How much water should these plants get?