Scams, Schemes & Swindles
The Division of Consumer Affairs transferred from the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance (“TDCI”) to the Office of the Attorney General effective September 30, 2019. Accordingly, you may see several resources with TDCI branding or information. The information in the resources is still accurate – the Division simply moved.
The Scams, Schemes & Swindles page serves as a central location for scam information with links to fraud and scam webpages of other State of Tennessee departments and agencies.
Please see below to learn about common types of scams and click here to see a list of all our Consumer Alerts.
To read about trending scams and other consumer hot topics, click here to view our Tennessee Consumer News Update.
The Federal Trade Commission developed a series of fotonovelas in Spanish based on complaints they received from Spanish-speaking consumers throughout the nation. These fotonovelas offer practical tips to help detect and stop common scams. To order free copies of these materials from the FTC for your community, click here.
State Department and Agency Scam and Fraud Information Websites
- Better Business Bureau Scam Tracker
- Federal Trade Commission
- Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance, Insurance Division
- Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance, Securities Division
- Tennessee Commission on Aging and Disability
- Tennessee Department of Health
- Tennessee Department of Financial Institutions