Service of ProcessInsurance Division
Pursuant to Tenn. Code Ann. § 56-2-504, process to be served on an insurance company may be made through Commissioner of the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance. You can verify an insurance company license here.
Please note the following policies:
- The Department serves as the agent for service of process for certain entities regulated by the Department and required by law to appoint the Commissioner as an agent for service of process. These entities include most types of insurance companies, insurance rating companies, self-insured companies for workers’ compensation, and auto clubs. We do not serve as the agent for service of process for banks, individuals, insurance agents/agencies, or third-party administrators.
- Miscellaneous Mail: The Department is unable to forward miscellaneous mail to an insurance company
In order for the Department to serve process, the following is required:
- 2 copies of a court issued summons, 1 original and 1 copy;
- 1 copy of the Complaint (Inclusion of Complaint is not necessary if it was filed in General Sessions Court);
- $15 cash or check or money order payable to the Commissioner of Insurance; and
- An affidavit giving the last known address of the defendant(s).
The above can be delivered by mail, messenger, or hand deliver to:
The Department of Commerce and Insurance
Attn: Service of Process
500 James Robertson Pkwy
Nashville, TN 37243
Please contact the Department at 615-532-5260 or email Service.Process@tn.gov with any questions.