A Tennessee contractor's license is required first prior to bidding, contracting or offering a price to perform work! (...more info)
A Contractor's license is required for projects $25,000 or more, when acting as one of the following:
- Prime Contractor - Bidding or contracting directly with the “owner” of the project for all types of classifications;
- Subcontractors – Contracting directly with any contractor (not to the owner) to perform the following:
- Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing, HVAC, and *Roofing;
- Masonry subs for projects $100,000 and up (includes all materials, equipment, and labor).
- Construction Management – When the value of the project is $25,000 or more.
*Roofing subcontractors must be licensed as a contractor, effective January 1, 2014, in addition to performing work currently as a prime.