Skip to Main Content

Update License Information

In order to add a degree to a license, educators must complete a request via the site. Degrees must be obtained from a regionally accredited institution.

In addition, official transcripts reflecting the degree and its conferral date must be submitted by an accredited institution through an online clearinghouse to or mailed to the following address:

TN Department of Education
Office of Educator Licensing
710 James Robertson Parkway
Andrew Johnson Tower, 12th Floor
Nashville, TN 37243

Photocopied or student issued transcripts are not accepted.

Regionally Accredited Institutions

If you have not already established an account in TNCompass, please visit the following website to request an account:

Once you have established your account, please follow the steps below to submit your change of address.

  1. Log into TNCompass
  2. Select "Edit Account Information."
  3. Edit appropriate information.
  4. Confirm accuracy and click the save button (upper right corner).

Submit information through TNCompass

  1. Log into TNCompass
  2. Select My Educator Profile in the Application Quick Links section.
  3. Select Transactions and start a new transaction by selecting Name Change. Read related information and start transaction.
  4. Read related information, continue and complete Name Change Form and add appropriate attachments. Verify accuracy of information
  5. Read Submission Confirmation and submit.
  6. Under Submission Notes, select Personal Affirmation and complete Name Change Transaction - Personal Affirmation.
  7. Confirm accuracy of submission and submit. Confirm Personal Affirmation and click submit.

Acceptable Legal Documentation

Forms of legal documentation accepted by the Office of Educator Licensure are:

  • U.S.-issued driver's license,
  • U.S.-issued passport,
  • U.S.-issued social security card, OR
  • U.S.-issued official court documents (e.g., marriage license, divorce decree, other official court document)

If an educator wants to change a middle name to a maiden name, it must appear that way on one of those official documents.