Update License Information
In order to add a degree to a license, educators must complete a request via the tdoe.tncompass.org site. Degrees must be obtained from a regionally accredited institution.
In addition, official transcripts reflecting the degree and its conferral date must be submitted by an accredited institution through an online clearinghouse to Educator.Licensure@tn.gov or mailed to the following address:TN Department of Education Office of Educator Licensing 710 James Robertson Parkway Andrew Johnson Tower, 12th Floor Nashville, TN 37243
Photocopied or student issued transcripts are not accepted.
- Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Higher Education
- The District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- New York
- Puerto Rico
- The U.S. Virgin Islands
- New England Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Institutions of Higher Education
- New Hampshire
- Rhode Island
- North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, The Higher Learning Commission
- North Dakota
- New Mexico
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
- Northwest Association of Colleges and Schools, Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- Western Association of Colleges and Schools, Accrediting Commission of Senior Colleges and Universities
If you have not already established an account in TNCompass, please visit the following website to request an account: https://tncompass.org
Once you have established your account, please follow the steps below to submit your change of address.
- Log into TNCompass
- Select "Edit Account Information."
- Edit appropriate information.
- Confirm accuracy and click the save button (upper right corner).
Submit information through TNCompass
- Log into TNCompass
- Select My Educator Profile in the Application Quick Links section.
- Select Transactions and start a new transaction by selecting Name Change. Read related information and start transaction.
- Read related information, continue and complete Name Change Form and add appropriate attachments. Verify accuracy of information
- Read Submission Confirmation and submit.
- Under Submission Notes, select Personal Affirmation and complete Name Change Transaction - Personal Affirmation.
- Confirm accuracy of submission and submit. Confirm Personal Affirmation and click submit.
Acceptable Legal Documentation
Forms of legal documentation accepted by the Office of Educator Licensure are:
- U.S.-issued driver's license,
- U.S.-issued passport,
- U.S.-issued social security card, OR
- U.S.-issued official court documents (e.g., marriage license, divorce decree, other official court document)
If an educator wants to change a middle name to a maiden name, it must appear that way on one of those official documents.