School counseling programs in Tennessee have always played an important role in the educational process for students. School counselors work with students, families, communities, faculties and staff to address issues that have a substantial impact on student academic, personal/social and career development. Wherever counselors serve, be it in rural, urban or suburban areas, they strive to meet the needs of all students.
To learn more about school counseling see resources below. For additional information, please contact Leigh Bagwell, Coordinator of School Counseling Services.
School Counselor Connection
In an effort to reduce the wait time for school personnel to report suspected allegations of child abuse and/or neglect, the Department of Children's Services has issued a toll-free hotline number for school personnel only: 1-855-209-4226
- A free online training about how to report child abuse and neglect in Tennessee is available via the University of Tennessee College of Social Work.
Many of these resources include information that can be shared with parents. If schools have additional questions or need support, please contact School.Counseling@tn.gov.
The department is very pleased to announce the State Board of Education approved a full revision of the Comprehensive School Counseling Model of Practice and Student Standards (Policy 5.103). This comprehensive framework and standards will govern the day-to-day activities of all professional school counselors working with students from kindergarten to 12th grade. This revision includes alignment to national standards as well as the input of hundreds of practicing Tennessee school counselors. This revised model and standards will go into effect for the 2018-19 school year.
Following the state board’s recent approval of the revised model and standards, the department has developed a Frequently Asked Questions document to guide school leaders and counselors as they begin planning for implementation.
The department will continue to release additional guidance documents and templates to provide support to schools and districts in implementing the revised school counselor model and standards. Current resources are linked below.
- School Counseling Implementation Guide
- School Counseling Implementation Timeline
- School Counseling Program Component Audit
- School Counseling Model Implementation Plan
- School Counseling Program Management Agreement
School Counseling Model Implementation Resources
- Webinar Series: Implementing the Revised School Counseling Model
- Graduation Requirements
- Course Code Correlations
- Early Postsecondary Opportunities
- Test Anxiety Toolkit
Social and Personal Development
College and Career Development
- College, Career and Technical Education
- Tennessee College Access and Success Network
- Tennessee Promise
- Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation
- Tennessee Money for College
- ACT Toolkit
- Student Milestones for College and Career Readiness