Supervisor of the Year
Each year an outstanding public school supervisor earns distinction as the Tennessee Department of Education Supervisor of the Year (POY). This honor is earned by demonstrating superior abilities in:
- managing and motivating students and faculties;
- evoking high standards;
- demonstrating a commitment to excellence;
- implementing innovative programs; and
- having a track record of exceptional gains in student learning.
The winner is honored during the annual LEAD Conference in Nashville.
Eligibility & Selection Process
A Supervisor of the Year nominee must:
- Have a minimum of five years of professional experience in Tennessee public schools.
- Have a minimum of three years of experience as an administrator.
- At all levels of recognition, must be employed as a supervisor in a Tennessee public school system.
Directors of schools will nominate one supervisor from the district using the online SOY Nomination Form.
Nomination deadline is Feb. 28, 2018.
*In addition to the eight CORE regions, Shelby County Schools and the municipal districts that lie within the borders of Shelby County will be considered a 9th SSC area for the SOY selection program.
- During April/May, each of the nine Supervisors’ Study Council (SSC) areas* will review and score applications for a separate SSC region. One supervisor from each CORE region will advance as a finalist.
- Finalists will be notified of their status in June/July. *Each finalist’s district must lie within the boundaries of the CORE area that he or she is chosen to represent.
- In August/September, the nine finalists will progress to the interview stage of the selection process.
- Each nominee’s application average score and the interview average score will be combined (averaged) to determine the SOY.
- In the event of a tie in averaged scores, the interview committee will determine the overall winner by ranking the interviews.
Projected 2017-18 Timeline
|By 5 p.m. CT
Feb. 28, 2018
|Directors of schools (or their designees) submit nomination form for SOY.|
|March 20||Link to SOY application sent to nominees.|
|By 5 p.m. CT on Apr. 20, 2018||Supervisor of the Year nominees submit application online.|
|April/May||Regional SSCs review and score applications from a SSC other than their own. One supervisor from each CORE region, and Shelby County, is submitted online as a finalist.|
|June/July||SOY finalists notified and announced.|
|August/September||Interviews held at the Andrew Johnson Tower in Nashville.|
|Fall 2018||Supervisor of the Year and Principal of the Year recognition banquet at the LEAD Conference.|
|2017-18||Stacia Lewis, Ed.D.||Sevier County|
|2016-17||Jennifer Brown||Sumner County|
|2015-16||Sharon Griffin||Shelby County|
|2014-15||Timothy Parrott||Anderson County|
|2013-14||Marcia Melton||Cannon County|
|2012-13||Bobby Cox||Warren County|
|2011-12||B.J. Worthington||Clarksville-Montgomery County|
|2010-11||Dianne Williams||Cheatham County|
|2009-10||Connie Campbell||Jefferson County|
|2008-09||Dr. David Timbs||Johnson County|
|2007-08||Glee Moore||Sumner County|
|2006-07||Nancy Wagner||Kingsport City|
|2005-06||Charlotte Britton||Hawkins County|
|2004-05||Dr. Shirley R. Ellis||Carter County|
|2003-04||Paul Coggins||Wayne County|
|2002-03||Susan Bunch||Henderson County|
|2001-02||Eleanor Hayes||Sevier County|
|2000-01||Judith Beaty||Monroe County|
|1999-00||Harriet Shelby||Lauderdale County|
|1998-99||Thomas Parks||Maury County|
|1997-98||Minnie Miller||Johnson County|
|1996-97||Sue Boyer||Knox County|
|1995-96||Debra Cline||Sevier County|
|1994-95||Dr. Christine Ejlali||Washington County|
|1993-94||Juanita Henson||Lawrence County|
|1991-92||Dr. Bruce Mays||McNairy County|
|1991-92||Bobby Snider||Henderson County|
|1990-91||Georgia Sullivan||Williamson County|
|1989-90||Dr. Jane Qualls||Alcoa City|
|1988-89||Dr. Hilda Nason||Paris Special|
|1987-88||Margaret Salsbury||Murfreesboro City|
|1986-87||Thelma Seavers||Milan Special|
|1985-86||Betty Sparks||Monroe County|
|1984-85||Mary Hopkins||Fayetteville City|
|1983-84||Joe Minor||Tennessee Department of Education|
|1982-83||Beecher Clapp||Knoxville City|
|1981-82||Kathleen Wright||McNairy County|