Welcome to the Tennessee Health eShare Direct Project
The Health eShare DIRECT Project is Tennessee's statewide initiative to promote the understanding and adoption of DIRECT Technology. DIRECT technology allows participants in health care - physicians, clinical labs, patients, and public health agencies - to send and receive medical information in a secure way.
DIRECT empowers physicians and hospitals to deliver better care with increased efficiency and lower costs.
Using DIRECT, all connected parties can securely transfer medical summaries, hospital discharge information, diagnostic tests and more. With vital information more readily available, providers deliver more efficient and effective care.
DIRECT can lighten the workload of physicians' offices by:
- Streamlining the process of treatment authorizations for non-physician providers - home health, long-term care, therapists
- Improving communication between members of a patient's care team
DIRECT reduces the burden on health care administration potentially taking the fax machine out of the enterprise.
- DIRECT creates communication channels for therapeutic consultation
- DIRECT has the potential to improve quality and efficiency of care and reduce adverse events due to missing health information
Patients' hospital discharge information is sent reliably to the next care setting at time of discharge.
- Currently 75% of PCPs don't have discharge summaries for patients at their first office visit after discharge
- Too often physicians find themselves asking the patient "What happened in the hospital?"
Communication between PCPs and specialist referrals is facilitated.
- Patients are often referred to specialists, including nutritionists and therapists, with little or no information sent with them
- Consultation summaries from specialists often do not reach the PCP before the patient does, if at all, or may be filed in the patient record and never seen by the PCP
- DIRECT allows important clinical information to be exchanged securely between providers in a timely fashion
In the future, patients will be engaged through open access to their own health care information.
- DIRECT will allow for better flow of information to and from patient
- Patient information will be sent directly to their DIRECT address or to their personal health record (PHR) portal
- Can be one means of meeting MU2 requirement to enable patients to view, download and transmit their health information
- Can be one means of meeting MU2 requirement to provide visit summaries
- Can be one means of meeting MU2 requirement to provide patient instructions and reminders
In the future, Tennessee will use DIRECT to collect public and population health information.
- Immunization registries
- Cancer and other disease registries
- Syndromic surveillance (for example, Centers for Disease Control monitoring of flu outbreaks)
Visit HealtheSharTN.com and select the Vendor Information tab. The page will walk you through the steps of vendor selection and shows a listing of those HISPs that are currently part of the Trust Bundle for interoperability exchange with DTO.