NEW! MTSU Partnership
The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation (TDEC) and Middle Tennessee State University (MTSU) has partnered to expand individual opportunities for earning course credit and certifications through TDEC’s Fleming Training Center in Murfreesboro, online and at other statewide locations.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the water supply and sanitation sector is expected to experience an employment growth rate of 45 percent in coming years due to regulations, infrastructure growth, security, and customer demands.
This is a comprehensive plan that provides degree paths for both traditional age students preparing to enter the workforce for the first time and for adult learners who are already in the water and wastewater industries.
Under this partnership agreement, MTSU will grant college credit for Tennessee Water and Wastewater Operators Certifications, and help operators wanting to complete a bachelors degree with:
- A degree completion program utilizing previous college work
- College credit for prior learning including some Fleming Training Center courses.
- College credit for military experience (learning)
- College credit for professional certifications
Under the agreement, MTSU will also provide:
- Individual academic advising for students.
- A free, one-hour “first course” that will help adult students make the transition back to school.
- A scholarship amount equal to the tuition for the final course or $1,000 (whichever is less), for students who maintain consecutive term degree progress (five courses a year regardless of term) and maintain a “C” average GPA.
For traditional college students wishing to enter the water and wastewater field, MTSU will also begin offering a bachelor's degree in water resources technology in their Department of Environmental Sustainability and Technology. This first of it's kind degree program was created through a collaboration between Fleming Training Center and MTSU faculty and staff to meet the demand that municipalities, utilities and industry in Tennessee have for individuals with Water and Wastewater Facility operation skills.
Students and operators interested in one of these programs should contact:
MTSU ContactPeggy A. Carpenter, Ed.D
Assistant Dean | Academic Outreach
Middle Tennessee State University | University College
1301 E. Main Street, Box 54, Murfreesboro, TN 37132
Office: 615.904.8092 | FAX: 615.896.7925