XVII. Grant Project Revisions & Modifications
- NARRATIVE / SCOPE OF SERVICES REVISIONS
Program revisions may be considered for minor changes in the program narrative. The subrecipient must obtain prior written approval from OCJP for any change in program narrative or scope of services. Program narrative revisions are not automatic.
- BUDGET MODIFICATIONS
Agencies may make changes to their project budget through the use of the 20% Rule. This rule allows for changes to approved budget lines (except for Salaries, Benefits & Taxes and Indirect Cost) as long as those changes are for no more than 20% of the line-item total. Prior approval from OCJP is not needed to utilize the 20% Rule. The agency may utilize the 20% Rule to move funds among approved budget categories providing that:
- The cumulative amount that a budget line-item is increased or decreased within a fiscal year cannot exceed 20% of that budget line-item total.
- Movement of dollars does not include line-items with zero dollar amounts.
- Line-item changes include only items that are currently in the agency’s approved budget , except Salaries, Benefits & Taxes and Indirect Cost.
- Any increase made to a budget line-item must be off-set by an equal reduction of one or more approved budget line-item(s).
- Movement of dollars does not change the project purpose/goals or intended outcomes.
- Movement of funds using this process must adhere to all other OCJP grant requirements that may apply.
Note: Funds may not be moved into or out of Salaries, Benefits & Taxes and Indirect Cost without prior approval. The request must be accompanied by a copy of the agency’s approved indirect cost rate or approved Cost allocation Plan which includes an indirect rate.
Example: There is $200 in the budget's travel line-item and you want to move more money into the travel line-item. The maximum amount that can be moved into the travel line-item is $40 for the entire fiscal year ($200 x 20% = $40). A separate approved line-item(s) must be reduced by the corresponding $40 and the reduced amount cannot exceed 20% of that line item.
** NOTE:Do not change column A of the OCJP Invoice for Reimbursement Form**
- PRIOR APPROVAL
Certain budget items require prior written approval from OCJP before adjusting the budget line-item amount(s) outside the scope of the approved budget. OCJP will review the requested changes and notify the subrecipient once a determination has been made. The following budget items must be pre-approved prior to being implemented by the subrecipient:
- Salary adjustments (including grant funded staff percentages and salary changes) - Funds may not be moved into or out of the Salaries, Benefits & Taxes line item without prior approval.
- Staffing Changes – if a position is added or deleted from the budget
- Capital Purchases
- Depreciation – must include a depreciation schedule
- Sensitive Minor Equipment – see Chapter X - Property and Equipment of the OCJP Administrative Manual for further details
- Clothing and/or Uniforms (Exception: Emergency clothing for victims/clients does not require prior approval.)
- Meeting room/audio visual services
- Indirect Cost – Funds may not be moved into or out of Indirect Cost without prior approval. The request must be accompanied by a copy of the agency’s approved indirect cost rate or approved Cost allocation Plan which includes an indirect rate.