How do I get my certificate?
How do I get my certificate?
Office of Vital Records
IF PAYING WITH CASH, CHECK, CREDIT/DEBIT CARD, OR MONEY ORDER
You have the option to fill out a paper order form and present proper identification at the Customer Service Window. If you are not a qualified applicant, you will need to support your entitlement to the record requested at the time your application is submitted or have a qualified applicant submit the application. Order forms are located on the counter to your left as you enter our office. We accept cash, check, credit/debit cards or money orders for our fees at our customer service window.
OR you may use the kiosk, located at the Office of Vital Records, accepting credit/debit cards only.
Kiosk orders automatically authenticate the identity of the requestor, even if you do not have ID on your person. If you do not pass the identity verification process, you will be asked to provide identification documents at the front counter once your order has been transmitted for processing. If you are not a qualified applicant, you will need to support your entitlement to the record requested at the time your application is submitted or have a qualified applicant submit the application. For all orders submitted through the kiosk, an additional $4.00 vendor fee applies. This fee is non-refundable.
Local County Health Department
With the Introduction of our electronic issuance system, all county health departments can issue any birth or death certificates that have been registered statewide with our office. You will no longer have to travel to the county where the birth or death occurred. Identification will be required at the time of submission of your application and fees payable. IF you are not a qualified applicant, (parent, child, or spouse), you will also need to present any documents to support your right to the certificate. Entitlement documents can include custody orders, letters or testamentary, insurance policies denoting the beneficiaries, etc.
What to include:
- The completed and signed application for Certified Copy of Certificate of Birth, Death, Marriage or Divorce
- One of the following for identification purposes:
- a photocopy of a government-issued identification card which includes the signature of the requester
- a notarized application for certified copy
- The mother’s copy of the birth certificate (issued at the hospital at the time of birth) may be used for identification when obtaining a newborn’s birth certificate.(It must be dated within the last two calendar years.)
- if none of these documents are available, see ID requirements for alternatives
- A check or money order made payable to Tennessee Vital Records for the appropriate fee.
Mail Request To:
Tennessee Office of Vital Records does not directly accept online orders. However, for your convenience, we have contracted with an independent company to provide you with this service. VitalChek is the only official vendor authorized by the state of Tennessee to process credit / debit card transactions for online orders. Any additional fees will be collected by the independent company.
To check on your order, please click here to email the Customer Service Unit.
Please provide details about your order and your preferred method of contact between 8 am and 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.