Skip to Main Content

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

Important Weather Related Information:

Due to inclement weather, select DHS offices are unable to open or are operating at a limited capacity at this time. Please contact your local office to determine if it is open.  Contact information can be found by clicking here. If you need immediate assistance contact the Family Assistance Service Center at (615) 743-2000 for Davidson County residents, or (866) 311-4287 for non-Davidson County residents (toll free). We are experiencing high call volume due to the weather, however a DHS representative will take your call as soon as they are available. Additional details will be provided as they become available.

Important information for Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma Evacuees Applying for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

New SNAP Households:

You may be eligible for the SNAP benefits if:

  • You lived in an area hit by Hurricane Harvey or Hurricane Irma
  • Evacuated to another State
  • You did not receive SNAP benefits during the month of your application
  • Applications have to be received for all evacuees by September 30, 2017

If you are eligible, you will receive expedited SNAP benefits on an electronic benefits transfer (EBT) card. To apply, contact the local State agency where you live now and identify yourself as Hurricane Harvey or Hurricane Irma evacuee. You can find Tennessee offices by clicking here.  To locate an office to apply for SNAP in a state other than Tennessee visit

Ongoing SNAP Households:

If you received SNAP in September 2017, you may use remaining benefits on your EBT card in any State. You may also be eligible for replacement and supplemental benefits. More information can be found at:

For help in replacing a lost, stolen, or damaged EBT card, see information for your State at:


The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly known as food stamps) provides nutritional assistance benefits to children and families, the elderly, the disabled, unemployed and working families. SNAP helps supplement monthly food budgets of families with low-income to buy the food they need to maintain good health and allow them to direct more of their available income toward essential living expenses. DHS staff determines the eligibility of applicants based on guidelines established by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). The primary goals of the program are to alleviate hunger and malnutrition and to improve nutrition and health in eligible households. DHS has a dual focus on alleviating hunger and establishing or re-establishing self-sufficiency.


Customer Engagement Survey

If you are applying for SNAP (food stamp) benefits, the documents listed below may be needed to complete the application process.


  • Social Security Number
  • Your Identification (Example: driver's license, school ID with photo, Passport, Resident Alien Card, I-94 card, voter's registration card)
  • Where you live (Example: lease agreement, utility bill, phone bill, or driver’s license with your address on it)  
  • Income (Example: check stubs, employer statement, award letters)
  • Shelter costs (Example: mortgage payments, property tax, homeowner’s insurance, rent receipt, lease agreement)
  • Costs of utilities (Example: electric bill, water bill, gas bill)

You may be asked to provide more information during your interview. Your eligibility counselor will explain what information is needed, how to get it and help you if you need assistance.

Contact Information:

Common Questions, Email, and Live Chat

Family Assistance Service Center
615-743-2000 (Nashville area)
1-866-311-4287 (Toll-free)

SNAP benefits are issued and accessed electronically using a Benefit Security Card or EBT Card. To apply for benefits, submit your application online or visit the local DHS county office.

Current SNAP recipients can find information on their case with CaseConnect.

If you do not already have a TDHS account, you will need to create one to access services (e.g. CaseConnect).

Find a Family Focused Solutions Provider near you here.

Out of State Agency Verification Instructions:

Please find below links to contact information to verify duplicate participation and request verification of case closure for SNAP benefits in Tennessee as well as other states.

National Directory of State Agencies 
State of Ohio, Ohio Dept. of Job & Family Services, Office of Family Assistance 

Learn more about:

Federal Student Aid

Summer Meals through the Summer Food Service Program

Enroll a child in the Imagination Library

Reports and Information:

SNAP Policy Manual
USDA Economic Research Service


In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

1.     mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
        Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
        1400 Independence Avenue, SW
        Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

2.     fax: (202) 690-7442; or

3.     email:


This institution is an equal opportunity provider.