Colonel Jimmie L. Cole, Jr. assumed command as the 13th Colonel of the 278th Armored Cavalry Regiment (ABCT) on 2 April 2017. Before assuming command, Colonel Cole served as Chief of Staff, G3, Deputy Chief of Staff, Operations and Training; G8, Director of Property and Fiscal Operations; Deputy G4, Deputy Director for Logistics; and Deputy G3, Training Division Chief for the Joint Forces Headquarters, Tennessee.
Colonel Cole is a native of Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and currently resides in Mt Juliet, Tennessee with his wife, Danya and their two sons, Cameran and Watson.
After serving as an enlisted Infantryman, he was commissioned an Air Defense Artillery Officer in the U.S. Army in 1991 through Officer Candidate School, Ft. Benning, Georgia. Upon completion of the Air Defense Artillery Officer Basic Course at Fort Bliss, Texas, he was assigned to 2-44 ADA, 101st Airborne Division at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, as a Vulcan/Stinger Platoon Leader. After his first assignment, Colonel Cole led the Division's only pure Stinger Platoon. Upon completion, Colonel Cole transitioned to the Finance Branch where he served as Battalion Assistant S-3 and the Commander of Detachment B, 101st Finance Battalion.
Upon leaving active duty in 1995, Colonel Cole joined the Tennessee Army National Guard where he served in various command and staff positions to include: Commander, 1129th Finance; G3 Training Officer; S-3 30th Finance (mobilized); Commander Regimental Reconnaissance 278th Armored Cavalry Regiment (mobilized/deployed to Iraq); Plans Officer 278th Armored Cavalry Regiment; Commander First Squadron 278th Armored Cavalry Regiment (mobilized/deployed to Iraq).
Colonel Cole is a graduate of the Air Defense Artillery Officer Basic, Finance Advanced Course, Airborne, Air Assault, Scout Commander Course, Combined Arms and Services Staff School, Command and General Staff Course, and Infantry Pre Command Course, Joint Task Force Commander Course, and Dual Status Commander Course. He holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting from Louisiana State University and is a graduate of the United States Army War College at Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania, where he received his Master’s Degree in Strategic Studies.
- Bronze Star Medal (1 OLC)
- Meritorious Service Medal (4 OLC)
- Army Commendation Medal (2 OLC)
- Army Achievement Medal
- Army Good Conduct Medal
- Army Reserve Component Achievement Medal (1 Silver and 2 Bronze OLC)
- National Defense Service Medal 2nd Award (Service Star)
- Iraq Campaign Medal with 2 Campaign Stars
- Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
- Humanitarian Service Medal
- Armed Forces Reserve Medal with Silver Hour Glass, M Device and Numeral 2
- Army Service Ribbon
- Overseas Service Ribbon with Numeral 2
- Tennessee Army National Guard Commendation Ribbon
- Tennessee Army National Guard Individual Achievement Ribbon
- Tennessee War Service Ribbon
- Tennessee Army National Guard Service Ribbon with Bronze Veteran's Star (4 Bronze OLC) Tennessee Army National Guard Volunteer Ribbon
- Tennessee Distinguished Unit Commendation
- Louisiana Cross of Merit
- Louisiana Emergency Service Ribbon
- Combat Action Badge
- Army Parachute Badge
- Air Assault Badge
- Order of Saint George
- Order of Saint Barbara
- Order of Saint Maurice
(Current as of 10 April 2017)