Major General Jeffrey H. Holmes is the Deputy Adjutant General, Tennessee National Guard. He is responsible to the Adjutant General for the supervision of training and readiness for the more than 14,000 Soldiers and Airmen within the Tennessee National Guard.
In addition to his duties as the Deputy Adjutant General, Maj. Gen. Holmes serves as the Assistant for Reserve Affairs, US Army Chief of Engineers in Washington, DC. Holmes duties include assisting the Chief of Engineers in carrying out his responsibilities to the Army Chief of Staff and serve as the senior Army National Guard Engineer representative to the Chief of Engineers. He will provide recommendations regarding mobilization in support of national emergencies, homeland security, contingency operations and the rapid activation of engineer units in support of wartime mobilization missions.
Before his assignment as the Deputy Adjutant General, he served as the Assistant Adjutant General-Army (Traditional) and as the Commander of the 194th Engineer Brigade, Tennessee Army National Guard. The 194th Engineer Brigade is one of the Army’s most diverse multi-functional engineer brigades consisting of an engineer battalion, an engineer detachment, and two Military Police Battalions.
Major General Holmes enlisted as an Armor Crewman in 1979 and was commissioned Field Artillery from Tennessee Military Academy Officer Candidate School in 1984. Holmes commanded the 278th Armored Cavalry Regiment during its deployment to Iraq in 2010, and as the Commander of 3rd Squadron, 278th ACR in Operation Iraqi Freedom III in 2004-2005.
Maj. Gen. Holmes graduated in 1985 from the University of Tennessee with a Bachelor of Architecture, and is a 2008 graduate of the United States Army War College with a Master of Strategic Studies.
- Legion of Merit
- Bronze Star Medal (with 1 Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster)
- Meritorious Service Medal (with 1 Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster)
- Army Commendation Medal (with 2 Bronze Oak Leaf Clusters)
- Combat Action Badge
- Army Reserve Components Achievement Ribbon (with 1 Silver Oak Leaf Cluster and 1 Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster)
- National Defense Service Medal (with Bronze Service Star)
- Iraq Campaign Medal (with 2 Bronze Service Stars)
- Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
- Armed Forces Reserve Medal (with M device, Gold Hourglass and numeral 2)
- Army Service Ribbon
- Overseas Service Ribbon (with numeral 2)
- Army Reserve Components Overseas Training Ribbon (with numeral 2)
- Tennessee National Guard Distinguished Service Ribbon
- Tennessee National Guard Commendation Ribbon
- Tennessee National Guard War Service Ribbon (with 1 Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster)
- Tennessee National Guard Service Ribbon (with 1 Silver Oak Leaf Cluster with Bronze Service Star)
- Tennessee National Guard Volunteer Ribbon
- Tennessee National Guard Outstanding Unit Performance Commendation
(As of 13 Jan 2015)