Tennessee National Guard Inspector General (IG)
WHO WE ARE
The Joint Force Headquarters-Tennessee (JFHQ-TN) Inspector General (IG) office is the senior IG office within the Tennessee National Guard (TN NG) and reports directly to The Adjutant General of Tennessee. The JFHQ-TN IG office is led by an Active Duty Colonel (Army or Air Force) detailed by the Department of the Army or Air Force and the National Guard Bureau. We are comprised of a diverse mix of full-time and part-time military (Army and Air Force) and civilian personnel.
WHAT WE DO
The JFHQ-TN IG office executes the U.S. Army and U.S. Air Force IG systems by performing inspection, assistance, investigation, and teaching and training functions for the specific purpose of enhancing the TN NG's readiness and warfighting capability. We serve as an impartial fact-finder and confidential advisor to The Adjutant General and provide a sounding board for sensitive issues.
HOW WE DO IT
Members of the JFHQ-TN IG office are consummate professionals trained in both the U.S. Army and U.S. Air Force IG systems. An extension of The Adjutant General's eyes, ears, voice, and conscience, we seek out systemic issues that adversely affect the TN NG, inspect those systemic issues to identify problem areas, and make recommendations that directly addresses the causes of these problem areas. In addition, we assist Soldiers and Airmen of all ranks, family members, civilian employees, retirees, and other civilians to resolve issues and allegations of misconduct within the TN NG."
The IG will do everything possible to keep confidentiality when handling complaints; however, it may be unavoidable to disclose some information to properly handle the case. In such instances we will try to contact the complainant prior to disclosure.
Before you contact the Tennessee National Guard IG, we recommend you review the below information to help you determine if you have an IG-appropriate complaint:
- Does the issue involve a matter concerning the TN National Guard? If yes, contact us. If no, our office will not look into your matter.
- Be sure you have a problem, not just a peeve. Are the cooks turning out lousy chow or was it just one bad meal?
- Give your chain of command a chance to solve the problem. Many problems must be addressed to the chain of command for resolution anyway.
- Be honest and don’t provide misleading information. IGs will discover the truth quickly in most cases and there are penalties for knowingly providing false information.
- Keep in mind that IGs are not policy makers. If a policy is flawed you can submit proposed change on a DA form 2028 of AF Form 847.
- Keep in mind that IGs can only recommend, not order a resolution. Only Commanders can order; the role of the IG is to advise the Commander.
- Remember IGs can only resolve a case on the basis of fact. Your claim that a supervisor has violated the rules doesn’t make it fact. A claim must be supported with evidence.
- Don’t expect instant action on your request… Be patient. Investigations take time, and IGs tend to have heavy workloads.
- Be prepared to take “no” for the answer. In any case, “Yes” or “No,” the IG will explain why.
Click here to file an IG complaint
Tennessee Department of Military
ATTN: Joint Force Headquarters - Tennessee Inspector General
P.O. Box 41502
3041 Sidco Drive
Nashville, TN 37204
Phone: (615) 313-3063/4/5/6/7/8
Fax: (615) 313-0760