Skip to Main Content

2021 Sales Tax Holidays Information Here

Request a Refund

If you believe you have overpaid your taxes, you may submit a claim for refund with the Department of Revenue.  

Logon to the Tennessee Taxpayer Access Point (TNTAP), and select Claim for Refund.

You can also request auto/boat refunds through the Tennessee Taxpayer Access Point (TNTAP) non-logon services.  

All refund claims must be submitted to the Department within three years of December 31 of the year in which the tax was paid.  If the claim is for more than $200, you must also complete a Report of Debts form and submit it with your claim for refund. 

The claim should include the following:

  • all reasons why you believe the refund is due,
  • the amount requested,
  • the tax period,
  • the date the tax was paid,
  • the tax type, and
  • any other supporting information that will assist the Department in determining whether the refund should be granted. 

If you are requesting a sales and use tax refund, you must first refund or credit the tax back to your customer, and include documentation of this with your claim.

More information about refunds can be found here.  

If you are unable to submit a claim for refund electronically, the paper form can be found here.