Skip to Main Content

Need help filing professional privilege tax? Click here to file by the June 1 due date.
TNTAP will be unavailable beginning at 6 pm, CT on Friday, May 25 until Tuesday, May 29 while we add new taxes and features. Thank you for your patience as we improve TNTAP.

Wholesaler vs. Retailer

Anyone who deals with tobacco products in Tennessee, other than a retailer, must obtain a license. It is important to determine which classification your business actually best fits within before you obtain your license..

If you receive, purchase, or sell tobacco products as a secondary wholesaler and acquire only pre-stamped cigarettes and/or other tobacco products on which the tax has been previously paid, but do not sell to the ultimate consumer, you need a tobacco distributor’s license.  Note, if you obtain a distributor license, you cannot also sell to consumers as a retailer.

If you maintain wholesale facilities in one or more permanent locations; if you are in the business of receiving, storing, purchasing, selling at wholesale, importing unstamped tobacco products, or otherwise handling tobacco products for resale at a wholesale price; and if you sell only to other licensed wholesalers and distributors or retailers but not to the ultimate consumer, you need a wholesale dealer & jobber license. This license also requires a minimum $2,000 bond.  Note, if you obtain a wholesaler license, you cannot also sell to consumers as a retailer.

In Tennessee you cannot be both a wholesaler/distributor and a retailer of tobacco products. See Important Notice 13-10.