TennCare Electronic Health Record (EHR) Provider Incentive Payment Program
TennCare is conducting an EHR Adoption Environmental Scan Survey
TennCare, Tennessee’s Medicaid Agency, has released an Electronic Health Record (EHR) Adoption Environmental Scan Survey. As a Tennessee provider, you can help TennCare collect valuable information about the health information technology (HIT) landscape in the state. This brief survey will take 5-10 minutes to complete. You can prepare for the survey by considering these items about your EHR system: which EHR you have, how you use it, and how your organization uses it. Additionally, the survey will ask you a few questions about your organization, such as whether you’re from a hospital/facility/clinic or office/practice and how many providers you are affiliated with.
We are looking for information not only from TennCare-participating providers,
but all medical providers within Tennessee.
TennCare is distributing the survey to all Tennessee providers with a current email address on record with TennCare or the Tennessee Department of Health (TDH). Should you not receive an email about the survey, please click this link to start the survey. We would appreciate your taking the EHR Adoption Environmental Scan Survey and sharing your insight on certified Electronic Health Record technology (CEHRT) and other methods of recordkeeping.
Program Year (PY) 2021 – The EHR Provider Incentive Payment Program is coming to an end.
Per CMS rules, PY 2021 is the last year for which Eligible Professionals (EPs) can attest and earn an incentive payment for meeting program requirements. All incentive payments, except appeals and adjustments, must be made by the states by December 31, 2021. The biggest difference you will find is the fact that you are attesting in the same calendar year (CY) as the Meaningful Use (MU) data comes from instead of attesting in the following year.
As always, you will have 90 days to submit your attestation – the same time frame we have used throughout the program. Patient Encounter Volume will come from the previous CY (in this case, from 2020), the same requirement as has been used before. Your MU data and eCQMs will come from a consecutive 90-day period (same time frame as in PY 2020) in CY 2021 beginning January 1, 2021 through July 31, 2021.
You are eligible to attest for PY 2021 if you
- Received at least 1 EHR Incentive Payment for a Program Year 2011 through 2016;
- Have not received all 6 EHR Incentive Payments permitted under this program; and
- Are using a 2015 Edition CEHRT (documentation is still required).
Below and throughout this web site you will find the information you need to successfully attest for PY 2021. As always, should you have questions please email us immediately (select “Resources” in the left column, then “Contact Us”). ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS include the Provider’s Name and NPI in any correspondence submitted to us.
Program Year 2021 Attesting
- The submission period for PY 2021 begins July 1, 2021. CMS will allow you to attest prior to completing your annual SRA, but you must attest that you will complete and submit your SRA by December 31, 2021.
- The deadline for submissions is September 30, 2021, 11:59 P.M., Central Time.
- If you attested for PY 2020, that attestation must be adjudicated before you can complete your PY 2021 attestation. That means we must review and either pass or deny your PY 2020 attestation prior to you completing your PY 2021 attestation. In fact, you will not be able to access your PY 2021 attestation until either payment is made or the attestation is denied.
- Your Patient Volume will come from a consecutive 90-day period in CY 2020.
- Your Meaningful Use (MU) data, including eCQMs, will come from a consecutive 90-day period in CY 2021. You may choose any 90 days starting with January 1, 2021 through July 31, 2021.
- If you have not completed your annual SRA by the time you attest, you must complete your SRA by December 31, 2021. You are required to attest that you will complete the SRA by this date. States have the flexibility to require documentation that the SRA has been completed if conducted after the submission of the 2021 attestation.
- Once completed, submit your SRA to InternalAudit.TennCare@tn.gov; Subject Line: 2021 Security Assessment.
We cannot emphasize enough that you understand the dates for attesting for PY 2021. You must attest in CY 2021. You cannot attest until your PY 2020 has been adjudicated, assuming you attested for PY 2020. The MU data collection period begins January 1, 2021 and ends July 31, 2021. If you choose to use May-June-July as your MU data collection period, you MUST still submit your attestation by September 30, 2021. If your SRA is not conducted pre-attestation, you must attest that one will be completed by December 31, 2021, and then you must do so. Failure to conduct the SRA will result in a finding if you are audited.
Should you have any questions, email us at TennCare.EHRIncentive@tn.gov
The CMS web site also has a lot of information and FAQs. CMS has the overall responsibility for the EHR Provider Incentive Payment Program, and the CMS web site is very general in nature. You are more likely to find the answers you need here on TennCare’s web site to participate in the TennCare Medicaid EHR Incentive Program. If you want information about attesting under the MediCARE incentive program, you will need to go to CMS.
On a monthly, and an as-needed basis, TennCare publishes an electronic newsletter to bring you the latest information about the EHR Provider Incentive Payment Program. We occasionally include information from CMS that we feel may be of interest to you.
We are now automatically enrolling all providers who are a part of the EHR Incentive Program. In case we miss you, or you are not yet enrolled, or just want to see what is being posted, you can subscribe by going to E-Blast newsletters. You can also go to E-Blast Newsletters to see past issues.
If you use a consultant to help with attesting: some providers use consultants to assist them in registering and attempting to qualify for the EHR Provider Incentive Program. This is an acceptable practice and TennCare does not have any objections to providers doing so. However, providers need to be aware that some consultants enter their own email address when registering the provider at the CMS R&A web site. As TennCare does all correspondence related to the EHR Incentive Program via email, all email is sent to the address entered when registering at CMS. If you are using a consultant who places their (the consultant’s) email address in your registration, you need to maintain close contact with the consultant as some attestation problems may require your intervention.