NOW WE MUST…
MAINTAIN OUR STRONG RECORD OF LOW TAXES AND LOW DEBT
“We had the opportunity to drastically overhaul the state’s budget with a new philosophy built around seeking innovation and a commitment to provide the best possible service at the lowest possible cost. Working together, our strong track record of low taxes and low debt now positions us to be the very best stewards of the people’s money.”
– Governor Bill Haslam
We must continue to provide the best possible service for our citizens at the lowest possible cost.
- State government has shrunk through $578 million in cuts from the state budget.
- The Rainy Day Fund tripled, providing the state with long-term financial security.
- Tennessee has the lowest debt per capita of any state.
- Tennesseans have seen $572 million in tax cuts, including a 30 percent cut on the sales tax for groceries.
- State employees are rewarded for providing the best service through performance-based pay.