Diplomas for Past War Veterans

High School diplomas may be issued to veterans whose education was interrupted by service in World War I, World War II, the Korean War, or the Vietnam War.  The veteran is not required to be a current resident of the State of Tennessee at the time of the request for a diploma.  A surviving spouse or other immediate family member of a deceased veteran may also request the diploma. 

Public Chapter 736 (2010) amends TCA 49-2-119 to allow the issuance of high school diplomas to Veterans who did not receive a diploma due to interruption fo their education to serve in World War I, World War II, the Korean War or the Vietnam War.

How to get a high school diploma for World War, Korean War and Vietnam War Veterans

The State Department of Education will issue an Honorary High School Diploma to any veteran from the World War II, Korean, and Vietnam War with Honorable Discharge papers.

Steps to get an honorary high school diploma:

1. It is recommended to begin the process by contacting the Veteran's county or school system, but requests can be submitted directly to the State Department of Education.

2. Information that will need to be submitted to the pertinent school system:

  • Honorable Discharge papers
  • Name of Veteran
  • Name of high school if graduated
  • Name of city of high school
  • Name of county of high school
  • Year would have graduated
  • Address of Veteran

3. The diploma will be sent to the requesting school system, therefore address of pertinent school will need to be submitted to the State Department of Education:

School system can send information by fax (615) 253-2505 or mail to State Dept. of Education to:
Department of Education
Grace Jones
9th Floor Andrew Johnson Tower
710 James Robertson Pkwy.
Nashville, TN 37243

4. State Department of Education will enter Veteran information into an Honorary diploma template and print diploma.

5. The diploma will be submitted to the Commissioner of Education for signature.

6. State Department of Education will mail signed diploma back to school system.

7. School system gets signatures of Director of Schools, Chairman of Board of Education, and Principal of School.

8. School system will mail diploma to Veteran.